Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bore Snake

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bore Snake

    Do you use a bore snake to clean your rifle and pistol bore ? I have been using them with J-B Non Embedding Bore Paste and am wondering how Flitz would work on the Snake ? Anybody tried it ?

  • #2
    Jim I use bore snakes quite often in the cleaning process of my rifles. Every new rifle I buy a bore snake of that caliber . I do not however use it exclusively to do the cleaning of my barrels, I use Tipton rods and brushes for serious cleaning. I keep bore snakes in my shooting bag and give my guns a dry run through before I shoot and as I’m shooting one more time before I pack up to head home. It has worked out well for me doing it that way. I did have one bore snake .277 cal get stuck in my sons 7600 Remington. It was always tight but he got it so stuck it had to be remove by our gunsmith. The guy who remove it feels it was defective in some way but it had to be broken up to remove so we will never know.

    Comment


    • #3
      I use them as a first step in cleaning to save some time and patches, pulling one through dry to start gets a good amount of the loose crud out. After that I still use a rod and a combination of patches and brushes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
        Jim I use bore snakes quite often in the cleaning process of my rifles. Every new rifle I buy a bore snake of that caliber . I do not however use it exclusively to do the cleaning of my barrels, I use Tipton rods and brushes for serious cleaning. I keep bore snakes in my shooting bag and give my guns a dry run through before I shoot and as I’m shooting one more time before I pack up to head home. It has worked out well for me doing it that way. I did have one bore snake .277 cal get stuck in my sons 7600 Remington. It was always tight but he got it so stuck it had to be remove by our gunsmith. The guy who remove it feels it was defective in some way but it had to be broken up to remove so we will never know.
        You probably know I am a big fan of K-1 for cleaning. (Hippie's is 70% K-1) I wrap a patch around the brush and put a little J-B on the patch and soak several inches of the snake in K-1 around the patch and cord. The K-1 acts like a lubricant / solvent and makes the pull a lot easier. After a dozen uses I soak the entire snake in K-1 to wash out the residue. If I check with a cleaning rod and patch the bore is usually clean enough for me. I break in all my new barrels so they really don't get too much residue.
        Did the pull cord break on your snake ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

          You probably know I am a big fan of K-1 for cleaning. (Hippie's is 70% K-1) I wrap a patch around the brush and put a little J-B on the patch and soak several inches of the snake in K-1 around the patch and cord. The K-1 acts like a lubricant / solvent and makes the pull a lot easier. After a dozen uses I soak the entire snake in K-1 to wash out the residue. If I check with a cleaning rod and patch the bore is usually clean enough for me. I break in all my new barrels so they really don't get too much residue.
          Did the pull cord break on your snake ?
          No Jim it jammed in the barrel and I have no idea why!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Do you use a bore snake to clean your rifle and pistol bore ? I have been using them with J-B Non Embedding Bore Paste and am wondering how Flitz would work on the Snake ? Anybody tried it ?
            I have a bore snake for all my rifles but I use a rod and brushes and patches to really clean my firearms. I carry the bore snakes when I go to camp in case I am caught in the rain and I need to swab my barrel out .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

              I have a bore snake for all my rifles but I use a rod and brushes and patches to really clean my firearms. I carry the bore snakes when I go to camp in case I am caught in the rain and I need to swab my barrel out .
              Have you tried J-B Bore Paste ? Does a great job. There is one type for regular steel and one for stainless steel (Brownells sells it). I take the time breaking in a new barrel so they usually don't pick up much metal deposits. One pass and the bore is usually clean enough. If I want a total clean I use my Outters Electronic Cleaner where the metal is electrochemically deposited on a stainless rod down the bore. When friends (gunsmiths) have a firearm that has not been cleaned in years I put them on the Electronic Cleaner and in 6 or 8 hours they are almost done.

              Comment


              • #8
                According to Herr Petzal and seconded by myself, there are few things as useless as Bore Snakes and the U.S. Congress. I use them in every caliber for one or two dry passes after my final zero check prior to the hunt to remove any loose crud and also before packing up after a hunt. Happy Trails

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                  According to Herr Petzal and seconded by myself, there are few things as useless as Bore Snakes and the U.S. Congress. I use them in every caliber for one or two dry passes after my final zero check prior to the hunt to remove any loose crud and also before packing up after a hunt. Happy Trails
                  I couldn't have said it better.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                    Have you tried J-B Bore Paste ? Does a great job. There is one type for regular steel and one for stainless steel (Brownells sells it). I take the time breaking in a new barrel so they usually don't pick up much metal deposits. One pass and the bore is usually clean enough. If I want a total clean I use my Outters Electronic Cleaner where the metal is electrochemically deposited on a stainless rod down the bore. When friends (gunsmiths) have a firearm that has not been cleaned in years I put them on the Electronic Cleaner and in 6 or 8 hours they are almost done.
                    Jimbo, I use J-B bore paste on a patch wrapped around a brush on a cleaning rod to power out fouling. Also use Bore Tech Eliminator for copper removal rather than the stinky ammonia based products, which do clean. However, after I zero before a hunt nothing goes in a bore other than a single dry patch or dry Bore Snake. Since I fire most any given rifle only once or twice during a hunt, I don’t spend much time on post season clean up. Usually a little Hoppes in the bore and Remoil wipe down.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a couple in my backpack. Still in the wrapper but I am comforted knowing I have them with me. I always check to make sure before the hunt. I'm more involved when cleaning my guns but I'm weird, I like cleaning guns.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        I have a couple in my backpack. Still in the wrapper but I am comforted knowing I have them with me. I always check to make sure before the hunt. I'm more involved when cleaning my guns but I'm weird, I like cleaning guns.
                        I also carry the GI brush on a cord. Had to use it one time. Coming down a steep hill I was bouncing from sapling to sapling until I grabbed a weak one and it gave way. I got some dirt in the muzzle. Dug some out with a twig then dropped the pull cord through. One pass and it was clean. Fired one shot just to check zero. That was my .300WbyMag so no animals within a 1/2 mile after that

                        Comment

                        Welcome!

                        Collapse

                        Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                        If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                        And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                        Right Rail 1

                        Collapse

                        Top Active Users

                        Collapse

                        There are no top active users.

                        Right Rail 2

                        Collapse

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        • Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                          by FirstBubba
                          My eldest started life as a jailer.
                          Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                          "I'm tired of getting beat...
                          Today, 06:00 PM
                        • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                          by FirstBubba
                          How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

                          https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                          Today, 04:02 PM
                        • Reply to Racism ??
                          by jhjimbo
                          99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                          Today, 05:57 PM
                        • Racism ??
                          by jhjimbo
                          Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                          09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                        • Reply to Racism ??
                          by jhjimbo
                          Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                          Today, 05:50 PM

                        Right Rail 3

                        Collapse

                        Footer Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X