No announcement yet.

Waiting for the UPS guy....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad it's Mother's Day or I'd run to Cabelas and see what scopes they have.
    Looking like VX3i more and more. 40mm I can get for under 325 various places.
    50mm is about 100 bucks more. Still dunno if med rings will get me the clearance for 50mm.
    Rather go w 40mm..........but the step down from receiver to bbl is a bit much and the higher comb stock......there's room for more. Just looks wrong with that much gap.

Comment

I see you missed out by not calling Doug at Camera Land NY.....

Comment

I'm still on the fence about what optic LOL.
        Doug will run more specials.
        Thinking 2.5-10X..............the Steiners are tempting.
        Haven't shot the Steyr yet, am looking at a Sig 365.
        Might gobble my scope money LOL.

I'll have it scoped by deer season, maybe
        Could throw a VX1 3-9X on it today.
        Too windy to go shoot though.

Comment

Got a pic rail coming today. Ordered new Zee rings.
          Could be shooting this weekend....................

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            I'm still on the fence about what optic LOL.
            Doug will run more specials.
            Thinking 2.5-10X..............the Steiners are tempting.
            Haven't shot the Steyr yet, am looking at a Sig 365.
            Might gobble my scope money LOL.

I'll have it scoped by deer season, maybe
            Could throw a VX1 3-9X on it today.
            Too windy to go shoot though.
            I have had probably 20 off-duty guns in my career and the Sig 365 is the best one that I have ever had. You won't be disappointed with the 365.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              Was still thinking about that used Ruger #1A in .30-06. Nice, not cheap......and a PITA to scope. Recoil seems stiff in #1's, despite their weight, and no.........I like the looks of the red pad models and wouldn't swap it out for some new/better elastomer type.

Looking at Wild Boar Fever vids............that Merkel Helix looks cool. But I wouldn't change bbls, Explorers on sale for 2K.

Looking at the Merkel vids and website.........I saw the new Steyr CL2.
              Hmmmmm, looks good.

But they're 1600...........and I'm a tightwad.

What to do (new rifle fever but wanting to keep a grip on the wallet)?

CL2 replaces the old tried and true Pro Hunter.
              Looked around and some places have the PH's at discounted prices.
              Not many versions left.

Got a 23" .30-06 comin.
              Now to find a 30mm scope for it.
              Why put a scope with more capability than the caliber rifle you are putting it on ? A 3X9-40, 1" is max of what I would use on a 30-06. JMHO

P.S. I have some Burris scopes and they are super, especially with their lens coatings. And, IF you ever have to stop a grizzly at 25' you would be real glad you had see through sights on your rifle, any rifle or even a Weatherby. My 4.5X14 scope is mounted in steel see through rings with steel bases. The rig is rock solid and will be around long after I am gone.
              Last edited by jhjimbo; 05-30-2019, 02:59 AM.

Comment

According to quite a few the butterknife bolt doesn't clear as well as others....so if its its going to sit up a bit....take advantage of that w a larger objective. It also looks way better when the gap from objective to barrel is minimized.

Comment

Europeans night hunt....and 30mm tube stuff popular. Plus this action looks " thick" and a 30mm might look more balanced. I got a 1" w 50mm to kind sorta split the diff. If I dont like it will try something else. Burris signature rings means no marks.

Comment

Sorry man, a 2.5-10x has a 3-9x inside and even if i dont need the adjustability within the 30 mm tube it is supposed to be stronger. And looks do factor in. Btw.....id never put see through rings on anything.....let alone a Weatherby.

Comment

Well..............its together. Good thing I went with pic rail instead of 2 pc bases.
                      Had to move the front ring back a bit for the larger bell of the 50mm.
                      Bolt clearance is good, objective clears base (could have modified if need be). Objective not too high off the barrel.

Worst case add minor cheek riser.

Everything aligned and torqued to spec.
                      Kinda windy.........and I have a pinched nerve doing funky stuff with arms/hands...........so no shooting today.

But it's ready to shoot
                      Pics after a while.

Rifle feels like a tank to me, should help w recoil. Dunno if it really is a pig, I'm a wimp, or it's the pinched nerve deal affecting perception of weight.

For now am content to run it w 3-9X and 1" tube.
                      Last edited by CD2; 06-01-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

At the shop

Last edited by CD2; 06-02-2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

That ought to work.

Intresting rifle, sort of a soft tactical look. Smooth lines with an attitude.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• High Velocity Politics
                            by jhjimbo
                            Can you believe the Democratic candidates have a whole 60 seconds to answer a question and say what they want tomorrow night and Thurs night. Wait, that...
                            Yesterday, 08:38 PM
                          • Reply to High Velocity Politics
                            by FirstBubba
                            '06, allowing a (D) to speak openly for more than 60 seconds would absolutely reveal way more of their (soulless) intentions than they want the world...
                            Today, 08:39 AM
                          • Gorsuch is correct.
                            by FirstBubba
                            I agree with longer sentences for crimes involving guns, but Justice Gorsuch is correct.
                            The Constitution makes no mention of crimes committed with...
                            Yesterday, 10:19 PM
                          • Reply to Gorsuch is correct.
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            That Bubba, is where I become confused in regards to ‘validity of the law’ ! When there is a division between judges as to ‘validity’, how is...
                            Today, 08:14 AM
                          • Special Counsel Bob Mueller to testify before Congress next month.
                            by 99explorer
                            Bob Mueller will appear by subpoena before the House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees on July 17th, and although he has said that his testimony would...
                            Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X