New Gun arrived today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gun arrived today.

After spending over a week in the hospital with a bad gall bladder which they are going to remove in a couple weeks I needed something good to happen. Today my Mossberg Patriot 22-250 arrived and I have my scope mounted boresighted and ready to go to the range. If it shoots as good as the Mossberg Patriot .243 I had I will be happy with it. The Mossberg Patriot Synthetic is alot of firearm for the money at $335.00. The trigger is outstanding and the bolt works pretty smooth. Of course I like detachable magazines. I was looking for a knock around rifle to haul on my 4=wheeler when I go to camp for coyotes and other critters. I have had the Ruger American and the Winchester XPR rifle and the Mossberg has both of them beat for performance.

Sarge, sorry to see you're having gallbladder problems. My wife had hers removed about this time last year. The technique has been perfected and the procedure should go well. As you know, there will be a diet adjustment period afterwards.

I have a Ruger American in 6.5 CM and it's the most accurate rifle I've owned. But I haven't known anyone with one of those Mossberg's. Please let us know how it does at the range.

Comment

Sarge hope you get to feeling good again, have fun with your new toy!

Comment

Sarge, hope all is well now or atleast getting better. Perfect timing on the 22-250, groundhog is right around the corner.

Comment

Best wishes for all to go well Sarge ! Shoot straight !

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
            Sarge hope you get to feeling good again, have fun with your new toy!
            Had the 22-250 to the range and with my 55 grain Sierra hollow point load it shoots well under an inch. That was with the 22 inch barrel. After a trip to my gunsmith the other day the barrel is now 20 inches. A groundhog won't know if he is hit at 3600 FPS or 3400 FPS. This gun was purchased as a knock around gun to haul on my 4-wheeler and carry in my truck when I go to the camp. We have several coyotes around. The 20 inch barrel makes it easier to haul on my 4-wheeler. Back to the range to see what the 20 inch barrel will do. I have an appointment with the surgeon on April 9th and she will tell me when she is going to take my gall bladder out. I can hardly eat anything now till I get it out. I have played 4 rounds of golf in the last two weeks trying to get some of my strength back from my extended stay in the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

Had the 22-250 to the range and with my 55 grain Sierra hollow point load it shoots well under an inch. That was with the 22 inch barrel. After a trip to my gunsmith the other day the barrel is now 20 inches. A groundhog won't know if he is hit at 3600 FPS or 3400 FPS. This gun was purchased as a knock around gun to haul on my 4-wheeler and carry in my truck when I go to the camp. We have several coyotes around. The 20 inch barrel makes it easier to haul on my 4-wheeler. Back to the range to see what the 20 inch barrel will do. I have an appointment with the surgeon on April 9th and she will tell me when she is going to take my gall bladder out. I can hardly eat anything now till I get it out. I have played 4 rounds of golf in the last two weeks trying to get some of my strength back from my extended stay in the hospital.
              Glad the gun is treating you well, hang in there Buddy sounds like the gall bladder is going to work out too. Keeping you in prayers Sarge.

Comment

20" .22-250 should be pretty annoying in blast.

Comment

Sarge the 20 inch barrel should prove quite handy on the four wheeler. Sorry to hear your suffering so much. I hope you get past this illness soon . Best wishes to a speedy recovery.

Comment

Had the 22-250 with 20 inch barrel back to the range yesterday. With Hornady 50 grain V-Max bullets shot a 3/4 inch group at 100. I can live with that. I didn't notice a whole lot more noise with the 20 inch barrel. Most of my rifles I buy I cut the barrels to 20 inch, exception is my 300 WSM Sako A-7.

Comment

I had a .22-250 with a 26-inch barrel that had more recoil than muzzle blast.
                      It was a step-up in power from my .222 Rem, which in turn was a step up from my starter .22 Hornet.
                      How I wish I had that old Hornet back.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                        I had a .22-250 with a 26-inch barrel that had more recoil than muzzle blast.
                        It was a step-up in power from my .222 Rem, which in turn was a step up from my starter .22 Hornet.
                        How I wish I had that old Hornet back.
                        I couldn't live without my CZ .22 Hornet. Here in WV we can use rifles for turkeys and I do because I have called up a couple of coyotes and the Hornet is perfect medicine for them.

Comment

Had the 22-250 with 20 inch barrel back to the range yesterday. With Hornady 50 grain V-Max bullets shot a 3/4 inch group at 100. I can live with that. I didn't notice a whole lot more noise with the 20 inch barrel. Most of my rifles I buy I cut the barrels to 20 inch, exception is my 300 WSM Sako A-7.
                          If I wasn't in the twilight years with trifocals and brain damage from shingles which causes me to shake I could probably shoot 3 cutters like in the old days but at this juncture of life I am happy with 3/4 inch or inch groups.

Comment

Had the Mossberg Patriot with the 20 inch barrel back to the range. I was steadier with my shooting today. I shot three 1/2 inch 4 shot groups with it today. One group is my 50 grain Hornady V-Max load with IMR 4064, one load is my 55 grain Sierra BTHP's with RL-15 and one group is my load with the 55 grain Sierra BTHP's with IMR 4350. Seems to shoot better with the 20 inch barrel than the 22 inch barrel, of maybe I was just shooting better today myself.

Comment

Had the Mossberg Patriot with the 20 inch barrel back to the range. I was steadier with my shooting today. I shot three 1/2 inch 4 shot groups with it today. One group is my 50 grain Hornady V-Max load with IMR 4064, one load is my 55 grain Sierra BTHP's with RL-15 and one group is my load with the 55 grain Sierra BTHP's with IMR 4350. Seems to shoot better with the 20 inch barrel than the 22 inch barrel, of maybe I was just shooting better today myself.
                              One drawback I have found with the Mossberg Patriot. The box magazine is so short that I have to load my bullets .095 deeper than the recommended loaded cartridge length. But from the results I got at the range yesterday it doesn't seem to bother it much with bullets seated that deep.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by MattM37
                                Have any of you read this? All I remembered was the cheeseball movie starring Darryl Hannah, but on a whim I grabbed the paperback yesterday from the...
                                Today, 07:55 PM
                              • Reply to Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by FirstBubba
                                Just completed "Angels in the Sky" by Robert Gandt.
                                How a band of volunteer airmen saved the new state of Israel.

"The...
                                Today, 09:39 PM
                              • Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by Gvanwage
                                Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel,...
                                Yesterday, 01:18 PM
                              • Reply to Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by PAShooter
                                I have read where shooters have had success with 200 gr. Accubonds and 200 gr ELDX in the 1-11 twist Tikka. There are some fine bullets in the 30 caliber...
                                Today, 05:10 PM
                              • Contaminants
                                by MattM37
                                How are the waters in your area? Do you get to each much fresh fish?

Most of my local waters aren't even listed on the state health...
                                Today, 04:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X