No announcement yet.

Weatherby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys: This my 1st post and I don't yet understand how this works so I apologize if I'm screwing something up. In any case, I'm trying to decide between either a 257 Weatherby or 270 Weatherby. It will ONLY be used for critters in the 100 - 350 lb range. Nothing smaller and nothing bigger. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Ortiz View Post
      Guys: This my 1st post and I don't yet understand how this works so I apologize if I'm screwing something up. In any case, I'm trying to decide between either a 257 Weatherby or 270 Weatherby. It will ONLY be used for critters in the 100 - 350 lb range. Nothing smaller and nothing bigger. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
      Both will work well its up to you which ever your prefer. I would go 270 JMO

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Jason, The Weatherby Mk V is the Flagship rifle and has the massive bolt with 9 locking lugs capable of handling the Weatherby cartridges up to the .460WbyMag. The Vanguard has a more typical bolt design suitable for 30-06 type cartridges.
        I understand Jimbo, it was a mark V 300 wby mag. I bought the gun and some high dollar wby ammo and it shot about 2" groups at best. For what I paid back then It just isn't something appealing to me. They are nice guns but to me I don't go the cheapest route possible but when I find something that works just as well for half the price then I don't pay for a name. I don't just buy guns this way I am this way with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

I understand Jimbo, it was a mark V 300 wby mag. I bought the gun and some high dollar wby ammo and it shot about 2" groups at best. For what I paid back then It just isn't something appealing to me. They are nice guns but to me I don't go the cheapest route possible but when I find something that works just as well for half the price then I don't pay for a name. I don't just buy guns this way I am this way with everything.
          I’m sorry you had a less than satisfactory experience with your .300 Roy. I have a .300 Weatherby Fibermark that shoots well under an inch at 100 yards. I only fired a few factory loads before working up loads with Barnes 168 gr TTSX with MagPro and now Reloder 26. I think someone who is a better shooter than I could consistently shoot it under 1/2 MOA since I get cloverleafs from time to time. The RL 26 seems to have smaller velocity deviation shot to shot and is very accurate at less than a max load. Sometimes the rifle, scope, shooter, and ammo just don’t quite come together. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

I’m sorry you had a less than satisfactory experience with your .300 Roy. I have a .300 Weatherby Fibermark that shoots well under an inch at 100 yards. I only fired a few factory loads before working up loads with Barnes 168 gr TTSX with MagPro and now Reloder 26. I think someone who is a better shooter than I could consistently shoot it under 1/2 MOA since I get cloverleafs from time to time. The RL 26 seems to have smaller velocity deviation shot to shot and is very accurate at less than a max load. Sometimes the rifle, scope, shooter, and ammo just don’t quite come together. Happy Trails
            You could be right I was a little younger back then, I had it for about 6 months i'm sure that maybe with everything I have learned since back then I may have been able to do something with it. I have sense started shooting savage rifles I would have to count them all and every one shoots an inch or better.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post

You could be right I was a little younger back then, I had it for about 6 months i'm sure that maybe with everything I have learned since back then I may have been able to do something with it. I have sense started shooting savage rifles I would have to count them all and every one shoots an inch or better.
              Not one thing wrong with Savage rifles! We have several.

Comment

Ortiz, either Weatherby caliber would be fine. You did not mention range you will be hunting at. If it is extended I might go with 7mmWbyMag. In any event Weatherby ammo is best ordered on line to be sure you get exactly what you want.

Jason, Your experience of poor accuracy should have had you sending the rifle back to Weatherby under their accuracy guarantee. Too late now I guess.
                My Father worked at Savage during the War so we had some really nice rifles come in the house. The "Utica Savage" was by far the most beautiful. A '99 .300 fully embellished with choice wood, almost too beautiful to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Ortiz, either Weatherby caliber would be fine. You did not mention range you will be hunting at. If it is extended I might go with 7mmWbyMag. In any event Weatherby ammo is best ordered on line to be sure you get exactly what you want.

Jason, Your experience of poor accuracy should have had you sending the rifle back to Weatherby under their accuracy guarantee. Too late now I guess.
                  My Father worked at Savage during the War so we had some really nice rifles come in the house. The "Utica Savage" was by far the most beautiful. A '99 .300 fully embellished with choice wood, almost too beautiful to hunt with.
                  My grandfather had a mod 99 in 250-3000, man did that thing shoot. My uncle owns it now and it has not had a round chambered in it since my grandpa passed in 1997.

Comment

I have a 1946 99 in 250-3000 with the factory aperture sight. I have only fired it at 50 and 100 yards and it seems to shoot ok. I should sell it since I don’t use it.

Comment

WAM- How much? What condition?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                        WAM- How much? What condition?
                        Pretty good shape. Let me think about that.

Comment

WAM- Send me a private message.

crm

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                            I have a 1946 99 in 250-3000 with the factory aperture sight. I have only fired it at 50 and 100 yards and it seems to shoot ok. I should sell it since I don’t use it.
                            I believe his was about the same gun it would have been bought around 1946-1955.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad