Browning BLR Lightweight rifles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browning BLR Lightweight rifles

Has anyone done any hunting with the Browning BLR series of rifles? They currently make the BLR Lightweight with Pistol Grip and the BLR Lightweight '81 models. I'm interested in getting one in .308, want to know what your experiences /knowledge are with these for hunting deer and bigger game, especially as regards durability and accuracy over time as I'm told the mechanisms are complex/intricate on this lever action rifle.

Are these a slow selling model or have you seen them in the field when you are hunting? I'm not familiar with the Browning line and its overall reputation compared with the other big name rifle manufacturers.

My fellow Natural Resources Police Officer has used a Browning BLR in .308 with a Redfield 3x9x40 scope for over 30 years. He loves the rifle and wouldn't hunt with anything else. A friend of mine showed me his new Browning BLR in 30-06 before deer season. He didn't even have his scope on it yet. I haven't got to ask him if he had a chance to shoot a deer with it this deer season.

Comment

I had one of the early BLR made in Belgium in .308. Mine was a solid 2" shooter. Easy to carry, I had a 2X7 Leupold on it. Some did not like the way the trigger came down with the lever but that never bothered me. My magazines needed a little adjustment to make them lock up easier. Well made and good looking and excellent heavy woods rifle. With the rotary bolt head there is a solid lock up and capable of pointed bullets. Browning recommended to carry with the hammer all the way down. Rifle has an inertia firing pin so hammer down is safe. Browning brings a premium price so you will see a 1,000 Marlin mod 336 to one BLR.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad