Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My older sons are 13 and 12 and I am ready to buy them their first rifles. We hunt whitetail in the South Texas brush country, b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My older sons are 13 and 12 and I am ready to buy them their first rifles. We hunt whitetail in the South Texas brush country, b

My older sons are 13 and 12 and I am ready to buy them their first rifles. We hunt whitetail in the South Texas brush country, but I also want something that is versatile enough for feral hog, nilgai antelope and possibly, one day, elk. I'm thinking about a Remington BDL .270 for one and a .30-06 for the other. What do you recommend?

eather a 30-6 or a 30-30 but more 30-6

Comment

30-6 im 12 and thats whati use and love

Comment

I would go with the 30-06 for both. They will thank you for it.

Comment

My first was a 243. But yall got some bigger deer in S. Texas than us in the hill country obviously. I would suggest 270 wsm for both. I go that route just because im not a big fan of the 30-06. I shoot one and wish I had something that would reach out a little further.

Comment

Tex,

I would op for the 30/06. It will give you more versatility as far as bullet weights and loaded ammo options. The long range trajectory of both rounds is very similar. The 700 is a good, sound rifle.

A bull Nilghi is a tough customer. A friend who once guided Nilghi on the Kennedy Ranch says that he would consider a 30/06 to be a minimum. I was quite impressed with the Blue Bull's ability to absorb a bullet an keep standing.

Comment

I would recommend a 30-06. That is what I use . You can get a lighter grain for lighter grain for smaller game and a larger grain for larger game while having plenty of knockdown power.

Comment

I would recommend a 30-06. That is what I use . You can get a lighter grain for lighter grain for smaller game and a larger grain for larger game while having plenty of knockdown power.

Comment

that sounds good mabey a 25-06 or something lighter for the deer but that sounds good they could always share

Comment

Either one is fine with the right bullets. I would buy the same caliber for both to decrease logistical problems. It also would prevent having the right rifle and the wrong cartidges at an inconvienant moment.

Comment

I agree with ish. Having different calibers is a pain. Find a round both guns shoot well and it will prevent many headaches.

Comment

i would hunt with a 30/6.

Comment

30/06 is a good rifle and utiliziing the new low-recoil ammo it could be fired comfortably by both boys. The .270 is a great round also. I cant find fault with either. I would go with the same caliber though.

Comment

I would go with the 30-06 but you might consider a short action since the boys are young. In that case there is the 308 and that new 338 Federal comes to mind. Might be easier for a kid to handle a short action rifle.

Comment

id get a winchester 94 30-30

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad