Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking at either a 45 or 50 cal muzzle loader for deer hunting in Wisconsin. Since most saboted bullets in 50 cal are act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking at either a 45 or 50 cal muzzle loader for deer hunting in Wisconsin. Since most saboted bullets in 50 cal are act

I am looking at either a 45 or 50 cal muzzle loader for deer hunting in Wisconsin. Since most saboted bullets in 50 cal are actually 44 or 45 cal in diameter anyway wouldn't I be better off using a 45 cal powerbelt bullet in a 45 cal gun? The other problem is the availability of 45 caliber accessories and i am afraid of being stuck in 45 caliber no mans land if the next greatest thing comes out in 50 cal only.

i would go with 50. it works fine and has great power.

Comment

45 cal powerbelt in a 45 is spot on. Also 45's will never go out of style. The next greatest thing will probably come out in 45 anyway!

Comment

45 cal powerbelt in a 45 is spot on. Also 45's will never go out of style. The next greatest thing will probably come out in 45 anyway!

Comment

If you are shooting a inline go with a TC Encore in a 50 cal and shoot the 45cal sabots, I shoot a TC Hawken 50cal with a 370 grain maxi ball. Lets just say nothing gets bsck up.

Comment

45 cal or 50 cal. I think your splitting hairs. I like 50 cal because that's what all my buddies shoot and if I need something I can borrow it.

Comment

I like 50 cal. because you can find the accessories anywhere and all my buddies shoot them so I can borrow equipment if I have to.

Comment

Buck hunter, you make a very very good point and idduckhunter if i am going to shoot a 45 caliber bullet anyway why don't i shoot it in a 45 caliber gun. Powerbelts cause much less plastic fouling and are easier loading than full plastic sabots, these are my thoughts on the subject.

Comment

I own a .45 caliber and i shoot powerbelt and my dad shoots a .50 caliber and shoots powerbelts. Neither of us has ever had any problem finding gear or any thing else, but .45 is ussually a little more expensive, but gives you extra range, while .50's have more power and a little cheaper gear.

Comment

go with a TC Omega 50 cal you wont be sorry.

Comment

Golfing Sportsman 99% of 50 cal inlines shoot 45 cal sabots. I know this because a friend of mine shoots a TC 209x50 with 150 grains of Pyrodex and 45cal XTP.

Comment

You won't have a problem finding .45 supplies. Both the .45 and the .50 will get the job done.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad