Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else shoot a Flintlock muzzleloader? If so what is it? Do you have a good source for flints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else shoot a Flintlock muzzleloader? If so what is it? Do you have a good source for flints?

Does anyone else shoot a Flintlock muzzleloader? If so what is it? Do you have a good source for flints?

Del,

I shoot 3 flint guns I built myself from scratch parts. One is a "mythical" (no one has ever seen an original) flintlock Hawken in .58 cal., the second is a Lancaster style rifle in .50 cal., the last a southern style rifle in .40 caliber. The Hawken wears an Early English style lock from L&R, the Lancaster and Southern wear Siler Locks from Jim Chambers. I use black English gun flints in them all. I get them mostly from Track of the Wolf. They usually have a large supply of various sizes and will pick thick or thin ones for you in case your lock has a preference. These flints are hand knapped in England and are relatively uniform. I try to stock up when I can as the supply is sometime iffy and like everything else they keep getting more expensive!

Comment

My last post concerning the Hawken should have read Late English Lock rather than early...

Comment

I don't know much about them but a doctor friend goes back to Pennsylvania every year to hunt with his dad with flintlocks. I believe he told me it is a flintlock season only. I'll ask him about how he acquires his flints. They sure are fun to shoot but sort of scary.

Comment

I have a Traditions "Trapper" .50 cal flintlock pistol I shoot for fun. It has a "sawback" handle and double set triggers. It really seems to fit the "american dueling pistol" type rather than something a trapper would carry. I use english flints and have to say I haven't quite got the mastery of making it go off reliably yet. Then there is the way the pistol lurches one way when the flash in the pan, then the other way when the main charge goes off. I actually have hit my target a couple times! I don't practice with it enough, but it does the job I got it for admirably, that is showing kids the history of the gun. Just for kicks I carved a dragoon stock with a patch box for it, I unscrew the buttcap and screw in the shoulder stock. It has brass pins to hold it in alignment. Makes the pistol much easier to shoot and looks cool too!

Comment

I've made 2+ flint locks from stock planks and parts(the third is almost finished). The first one was a late 1700's Lancaster .45 cal. flint longrifle. The second is a .45 cal. Kentucky flint pistol. And the third will match the pistol. As was mentioned before, you can visit Track of the Wolf website. Or, where I get mine. ( www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com ) Another place you can get them is from a rendezvous. At most of these, there is always someone there who is selling them. They can spend a little more but, this is an easy way to see which ones will fit your lock.

Comment

I shoot a late Hawkens .62 caliber full stock which I did build myself. It has the patent breech. Some say the plug typs breech (permanently mounted to the rifle) is a better, faster shooting brech system, but mine shoots just fine after tuning the lock. Yes, full Hawkens did exist. There is one in the Smothsonian Institute, but I don't know what caliber. And what if it isn't a patent breech? I'm sure Sam or Jacob wouldn't have given a tinkers ****.

The best source I know of is Dixie Gun Works, Union City and Track of the Wolf for English flints.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad