Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best Buck shot, #4 or 00.

what is the best Buck shot, #4 or 00.

I have never shot a deer with buckshot but my wife dropped a buck in its tracks with one round of No.1 buckshot from my old Browning A-5 with IC. Those 30 cal balls got the job done at least once.

Comment

You’re not providing enough info for me to tell you what’s best, first of all which one patters best, the distance and what you’re shooting?

I use #4 for all the above in my area

Comment

Clay is right you should pattern the gun with different sizes shot and shoot the one that patterns best. My first 8 or 10 deer was shot with No 1 or single 0 buckshot in Florida and Georgia. My Dad always considered no 4 buckshot too small for deer.

Comment

NO. 4 but try number 2's they have the best of both

Comment

If you are shooting coyotes 3 inch or 3.5 inch #4 buck is exellant,for shooting deer shoot slugs if you can get a rifled slug barrel they are more accurate.

Comment

I have seen a deers rear end blowed all to pieces with 00 buck. I have heard of deer shot with all sorts of cals though. Just pattern the gun at different ranges and see witch shoots and patterns best.

Comment

We shoot 00 and 000 in my area of VA, hunting with dogs. No. 4 seems tiny to me. But like others have said you need to pattern different sizes and different brands in your gun. I shoot Remington 00 with a custom made choke for a Browning Silver Hunter. When you can put all 15 00's in a paper plate at 50 yards deer can't take much of that.

Comment

Like said not enough info. There are four other sizes between No. 4's and 00. 4,3,2,1,0,00,000 No.4's almost seem un-ethical for deer unless their at point-blank range.

Comment

Comment

00 will put the Brakes on at any practical shotgun range 50-75 yards, smaller shot require closer ranges because the bleed velocity (energy) much faster than the larger shot.

Comment

Comment

First of all, let it be known that buckshot is a short range load. By short, I mean 40 yards or less. I once shot a deer at about 25 yards with a load of 00 buck, and it was dead before it hit the ground. I was using a 2 3/4" non-magnum Federal 9 pellet load with the premium copper-plated pellets out of an 870 Remington with a modified choke tube. 5 of the 9 pellets hit right behind the shoulder in a pattern about the size of my hand. Of those 5, 3 went completely through the deer, and the other two penetrated both lungs and lodged against the hide on the far side. I attribute this performance to copper plating and 1325 fps velocity. The range helped too. I believe buckshot,in the larger sizes,is very effective, but use hard shot and avoid the bloated 3 inch mags that lack the velocity for good penetration, except at the closest ranges.

Comment

Agreed with CPT BRAD answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I use #4 for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad