Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took a couple golf balls to my range today and my son and I spent the afternoon shooting them with the .22's. We would race t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took a couple golf balls to my range today and my son and I spent the afternoon shooting them with the .22's. We would race t

I took a couple golf balls to my range today and my son and I spent the afternoon shooting them with the .22's. We would race them from point A to point B by shooting either the left or the right side of the balls. It was a blast. No pun intended. I was curious if anyone else had any good shooting games.

watermelons, soft drinks, co2 refills.

Comment

My son and I tied balloons to separate wooden dowels, and we'd pop away with our rifles to see who could clear his balloons first. These days, we do it with sidearms. Or we'd set up clay targets, paper plates, old tennis balls, and plastic beverage bottles filled with water, and we'd fire at those. We also brought trash bags with us to police our mess and we'd bring those bags home with us. Youngsters (and some of older kids) get tired of shooting at paper and targets that don't react. If you want to keep a youngster's interest and enthusiasm, you have to provide challenges and fun.

Comment

Shoot empty 12 ga hull until it bounces out of sight.

Comment

Empty 12 gauge hulls, golf balls on tees clay targets, anything that will make a hit obvious, set 3 or 5 up for each shooter and race to see who can get them all first. If the targets are big and close it is a speed challenge, if they are small and far away it is all about accuracy.

Comment

We used bowling pins to shoot at, since I was an avid bowler I just asked the lanes if they had any old pins and they gave them to me. We did many different shooting challenges. But my favorite hand gun to shoot at them would be the S&W 500, it just tore the pins.

Comment

I like the speed targets I think they are called metal challenger targets? We also take 1 gallon milk jugs and let someone set them out at unknow distances. Then we take one shot each until we hit them. (we start at 400 and go out) a little friendly wager is always good as it takes a few shot before your ranged in.

Comment

I mentioned this long ago on this blog and it is not for everyone depending upon your location. Out in the desert where we can literally see for miles and miles slowly flows a small creek. For years my kid and I have taken marshmellows and .22 rifles and pistols there to shoot. Toss the marshmellow into the water and as it floats away aim just beneath it. The marshmellow will usually soar straight up at a speed and to heights you will have to see to believe. At one place along the creek there is a high power line so we have contests to see who can make the most marshmellows fly up and over the line. Again if you live in a highly populated area with either people or animals don't do this because of the danger of richochets. Where we shoot there is the additional safety of the far bank of the creek being about 40 feet high for a bullet backstop in event of a richochet. Be very careful in choosing your location but if you find a suitable spot you will enjoy this little game. Guaranteed to bring many smiles to your face for little expenditure of cash. Just be very careful of your backstop and watch for the unexpected approach of any people or animals.

Comment

Ritz crackers stuck in the sand with most of it exposed make good targets for .22 pistols and revolvers. Apples and oranges work well for big pistols. When we go back to shoot the next day the target remains are gone so I assume the local wild animals and birds enjoy the meal.

Comment

Ishawooa,
                    I like the idea of Ritz crackers because the birds and critters will clean up the fragments. That makes better sense than collecting used targets and pieces in a trashbag. When I was a lad, we used Necco wafers with our .22 rifles, but ate half of our supply of "targets" before or during the practice session. I don't know if they still produce Necco wafers; I haven't seen them (or looked for them) in a while.

Comment

Agree, set up spent shotgun hulls, stale cookies etc., all those are great for pistols. For 22 rifle I really don't have a game except trying to shoot blackbirds on the wing.

Comment

I found 3 sacks full of golfballs at my grandparents when I was 14 or so. Instead of just hitting them out in the pasture we used shotguns to make it interesting. Have your buddy hit the golfball with a sand wedge and shoot away.

Comment

Ok I know this is not "Echo Friendly" but the old standby aluminum can as far as you can throw it with a 22 or pistol is still fun to me. I just took my wife out and we shot, it helped here and I was also able to demonstrate why my 45 (and 460) will kill things much more dead than her 9mm.

Comment

I have one that everyone has played, how about shoot the Buck with Big Antlers!? Jokes. My neighbor and I would get an old, stuffed animal (Stuffed Barney and a Stuffed Elmo was always a favorite) and set it between 100-200 yards away and try shooting it at different angles and ranges. We would take one to our archery range and shoot it with field points.

Comment

Put a playing card sideways, and then try to cut(shoot) it in half.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Or has someone write it. It seems most book deals only net a few million. I think the Obamas got in the single millions.

We don't know what...
                                Today, 09:58 PM
                              • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              • Reply to Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                                Today, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by rock rat
                                OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
                                Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X