Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

let me refraise that the 375 does less meat damage than a 270 i just want to know the quality of the 798 remington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let me refraise that the 375 does less meat damage than a 270 i just want to know the quality of the 798 remington

let me refraise that the 375 does less meat damage than a 270 i just want to know the quality of the 798 remington

One of my old hunting buddies owns these two calibers. He swears there is considerably less meat damage on any species with the .375 than the .270. This appears to be true at least when I have looked at his kills. I have never owned a .375 but have seen similiar results from slightly larger and a little smaller bullets. Given the various bullet choices this might or might not be true. A maxed out .270 plus a fragile bullet is capable of making a big mess. A bigger and slower bullet will generally not yield that sort of outcome. I don't know a lot about the 798 but they seem to be fairly well made, probably better than some of the military Mausers we have used but its not an FN commercial. Midway has a tempting price on 798 barreled actions. I just wish they would offer action only so I could make up another .458.

Comment

I agree. A 270 bulet is designed to expand in a whitetail a .375 isn't.

Comment

would not mind putting one together myself but cannot find the barreled actions on midway

Comment

Agreed with ishawooa answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad