Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best range to sight in a rifle at for deer hunting from a 100-200 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it would be a 270 with 130 Winchester® Supreme™ E-Tip Ammo or remington 150 grain remington PSP Core-Lokt? would those be great rounds for deer?

Comment

Both are good deer loads and a great rifle. I start at 25 yard to make sure I'm in the right vicinity then move out to 100 yards and dial it in to 1.5" high. If I have a place to shoot farther I do. I've got a buddy that is a member at a club with a 300 yard range and I shoot there when I can. I've found that shooting 150 grain factory loads out of a 270 1.5" high at 100 is about .5" - 1" high at 200 and about 2.5" low at 300.

Comment

If you can afford it, look into new Federal Premium Trophy-Bonded Bear Claw, 140 Grain Bullets, spendy, but out-of the box, the best KE, Velocity for factory loads. Plus a copper shank boattail for bone-breaking damage on big bucks and bulls!

Comment

For the .270 Winchester, that is...

Comment

Get your zero first at 25 yards. Then sight the rifle in at 100 yards. With most of the non magnum cartridges out there sighting 1.5 inches high at 100 will put you dead on a some where between 225 and 250 yards.

Comment

i do 150 or 175

Comment

I do 150 or 200

Comment

My daddy was in the army reserve for a little while and he says that they would always sight in their rifles at 25 yards.

Comment

i agree with several of the posts here. i zero my .50 muzzleloader at 25 then move out to about 100 to check for elevation. im usually about 4 inches high at 100 yards. of course this is BP not cartridges.

Comment

WHEN SHOOTING A FLAT SHOOTING RIFLE LIKE A 270 OR 7MM TAKE THREE SHOTS AT 25YARDS. MAKE SURE YOUR GROUP IS COVERED BY A DIME.MAKE YOUR ADJUSTMENTS BEING 1/4 TO 1/2 HIGH OF BULL.THIS TAKES WINDAGE AND HUMANE ERA OUT THE EQUATION.THEN TAKE SHOOTS AT 100/200 YARDS SE WHERE YOU HIT THE TARGET.BUT REMEMBER MAKE YOUR ADJUSTMENTS AT 25 YARDS.IF YOU ARE OFF AT 25 YARSD YOUR ARE 4 TIMES AT 100 4 TIMES AT 200.I CAN PUT 8 SHOOTS IN THE SAME HOLE AT 15 YARDS WITH A SIG 45

Comment

I like to sight it in at 100 and leave it a little high like alot of other folks said...

Comment

Depends a lot on the caliber, but a little low at 100 will give you the most "point blank range"

Comment

Deer guns should be sighted in at 100 yards. Why? For me, I like to keep my hunting simple. Here are 6 ways that I think that sighting in my rifle at 100 yards makes my hunt more fun and less stressful.

1. Any of the major calibers (243,270,30-06,308) are effective deer killers within 150 yards (regardless of the ammo)

2. Any ammo shot has less than a 1" drop from within 150 yards.

3. Almost every outdoor range has a 100 yard lane. Although 25 yards is a good start, I prefer to zero at least 100 yards or beyond.

4. Missing a trophy buck from within 100 yards would make most people sick. A 200 yard zero likely will result in a 3" arc at 100 yards.

5. Most deer shot are within 100 yards, and I would say that 99.99% of all deer are shot within 150 yards.

6. On a windy day (15mph cross wind) the bullet will drift about 2" at 150 yards.

Elk: The only gun that should reach out beyond 150 is any elk hunting guns. They should be sighted in at 200 with an effective range out to 250 yards.

Comment

Yes, they may sight their rifles in at 25 yards, but the targets is not full size. So it makes it seem like its farther. Make any sense?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                No that's confirmed!...
                                Today, 05:09 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by FirstBubba
                                I guess you got that from a unanimous source?

It's no good for (D)'s unless the source is unanimous! 👀...
                                Today, 05:05 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Breaking news Hillary used FBI , and CIA as her own Gestapo against Trump campaign.
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Danbo
                                Trump landslide 2020.

Biden asks for 4 10 minute breaks what a bum.

Now Bid en refuses to get drug tested what is he afraid...
                                Today, 04:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X