Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best range to sight in a rifle at for deer hunting from a 100-200 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best range to sight in a rifle at for deer hunting from a 100-200 yards?

what is the best range to sight in a rifle at for deer hunting from a 100-200 yards?

100 When you sight in your scope put it little low so when you get out at 200 yards it hits right in the middle.

Comment

Sorry I ment high instead of low.

Comment

A lot of guys burn up a lot of ammo sighting in at 100 yards. I sight in my 30-06 with 180 grain bullets at 25 yards. I zero it to be dead on the bull but 1 inch high. I've found that will put my bullet 2 inches high at 100 yards , dead on at 220 yards and 1 inch low at 300. I'm sure the balistic experts will disagree with me (nobodies correct when you talk balistics) but this has worked for me for 30+ years. By the way my ammo brand is winchester failsafe and it only takes me 3 to 5 shots to get zeroed.

Comment

put it an inch high at 100 yards. this will put you dead on out to 250.

Comment

If your hunting between 100 and 200 yards sight it in for 100 and practice. Their is no perfect answer for how high it depends on your caliber. If your using a 30-30 you may have a tough time shooting 200 yards, or it you are using a .270 your bullet is only going to vary by inch +or- up or down in that 200 yard range.

Comment

I'd have to say how I sighted in a rifle would also depend on the terrain in which I was hunting. Typically, in South Texas brush country, I sight in right at 100 yards, which is perfect for any shots in the brush. Typically, whitetail are shot somewhere from 100 yards in, so that's what I'd go with.

Comment

Like some others said I sight mine in a 25 yds and that is about an 1" high at 100 yds. But saying it will be dead on at 250 or 300 yds is impossible without knowing the bullet size and caliber. I also have boresighted mine and then shot it at 100 yds and had good luck that way.

Comment

Depends on how far of a shot u will be taking

Comment

I always set my guns 1 inch high at 100 yards and that way I level out at 200-250 yards for dead on shots.

Comment

What ya'shootnnnn dar Pilgram?

Comment

It depends on what caliber you're shootin'. I shoot a .270 Win and sight in at 25 yards to put me at 2 to 2 and 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. That is good to be dead on between 225-250 yards. With that sight-in, it is good for hunting big western mule deer and antelope, even elk with the right bullet.

Comment

The Gold Standard is 200 yards!

Comment

I sight in at 25 or 50 i think 100 is just to much

Comment

Most of the advice given here is flawed. Most hi-powered rifles are best suited for a 200 yd zero. Some shorter and others longer. It depends on BC, velocity, sights, etc. Clay would no doubt point out sight height is important also.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad