Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone out there shot a remington 798? just wondering thinking about geting one in 375

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone out there shot a remington 798? just wondering thinking about geting one in 375

has anyone out there shot a remington 798? just wondering thinking about geting one in 375

i wouldnt get a 375 its just to big.

Comment

let me refraise that it causes less meat damage than a270. i just want to know the quality of the rifle.

Comment

Not too long ago, the "Remington 798" Mauser was imported by Charles Daly. The rifle is a quality arm, made by Ceska Zbrojovka-Zastava Arms in Serbia, but production was interrupted by the war in Bosnia. The completed rifles provided a very good value. The actions and barreled actions have been the basis of many excellent custom or personalized rifles.
        As I understand it, when the time came to renegotiate the contract, Remington swooped in and outbid Charles Daly (the reason why the rifles now cost about 10-12% more than when Charles Daly imported it). This was an intelligent business move on Remington's part, but it's my understanding that Charles Daly was understandably miffed by Remington's opportunism.
        Remington has credibility and "history" as an American armsmaker, and better marketing clout than Charles Daly did as an importer. This is a well-made Mauser sporter, so it's a win-win arrangement for Remington and CZ-Zastava. As I understand it (through a recent inquiry to Remington Arms), the 798 action is available through Brownell's and Midway Arms.

Comment

My apologies, I missed the thrust of your question. I have fired the CZ-Zastava rifle in .270 and 6.5x55mm, spending more time with the latter, and was very favorably impressed, despite what seemed a heavy trigger pull (which, as I understand it, is adjustable "by a qualified gunsmith"). I have not fired this rifle since Remington took over, but I look forward to that opportunity.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad