Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm buying a rifle. I know, I know.... it matters less what caliber I use on my first western hunt for mule deer, it matters mor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jordjohn44
    replied
    You may have a bit of a problem finding the ammo for the 'something different' gun. I know it is extremely tough to find 25-06 ammo around here.

Leave a comment:

• BigBboy25
    replied
    If you wan something different, there are a ton of wildcats you can get rifles chambered in, or better yet if you want to be really different, you could design your own cartridge and name it after yourself!

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    I understand the desire to have a different rifle from the rest of the guys. Before you buy an odd ball consider this. When you are an hour away from home and realize you forgot your bullets at the house are you going to find them at the local gas station? You can't go wrong with a 270, 308, or 30-06. Any one of those will drop any North American game and are common enough that ammo is affordable and everywhere you look. I personnaly have a Tikka T3 270. I love it! Common? yes. Common because its a great rifle? Yes!

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    .284 Win. and .264 Win Mag. aren't very common these days.

.25-06 isn't too terribly unique, but it's what you want. .257 Roberts is less common, and would also be excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Carney
    replied
    RRMONT = The BLR in 300 Win Mag is next on my list! Now where am I going to get some extra money...

Leave a comment:

• Carney
    replied
    If you want to be cool -- go 45-70 and stalk in within 100 yards or so. If you want to reach out and put a touch on something, go 300 Win Mag.

Leave a comment:

• Damon619
    replied
    Magnums are fun guns as long as you dont mind the recoil. Also great bragging to friends about them

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    I bought a Browning blr in 300 mag. It's my best rifle, and it's different

Leave a comment:

• infantry08
    replied
    A cartridge designed exclusively for western hunting is the .264 Winchester Magnum. Not a lot of them around these days despite the advantages of the 6.5mm bullets. It's overshadowed by the 7mm Remington Magnum, but hey every cartrige has its niche. I believe the .264 would fill yours quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Another good choice for western hunting that you don't see everyday is the .270 WSM. I personally am not a fan of these short rounds since my preference runs more toward the STW or Ultra. However people I know who have shot animals up to elk with the short fat .270 who seem extremely pleased with its performance. It and the .300 WSM may turn out to be the only long term survivors of this group of cartridges.

Leave a comment:

• cjmurdoch
    replied
    There are a lot of good answers here, but, as my grandpa used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Any good .30 caliber firearm will work for any North American big game. If you want bragging rights, pick something, anything. If you want to fill your freezer, pick a firearm that will do the job. It doesn't matter what you choose.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    I'm sorry also get the 257 if you go that route in a Vangard Sub-MOA you can't get a more accurate rifle without going custom.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    The 25-06 is an excellent caliber just like its big brother the 30-06 but if you want a Screamer in 25 go with the 257 Weatherby which has three factory loads or the 25 STW which you will have to make from 7mm STW, or just go with the 7mm STW which will kill anything you want to shoot here in the lower 48. Its a great load designed by Lane Simpson for The Shooting Times. Great guy and Great load.

Leave a comment:

• mhough3
    replied
    Thanks all, I'll take your answers and read up some more. I'm leading towards the Kimber or a T/C in 25-06.
    Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• MNhunter23
    replied
    I have a 260 Remington and have taken a couple of Mule deer out west. Shoots very well out to 300 yards

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad