Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm buying a rifle. I know, I know.... it matters less what caliber I use on my first western hunt for mule deer, it matters mor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    I would go the 280 route, different from the rest of the pack but you can still buy ammo if you don't reload.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    or the even more rare .240 weatherby magnum.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    .257 weatherby magnum

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanExile
    replied
    If you want to be different get a 260 Remington.

That's a 308 case necked down to 6.5mm (.264)Outstanding deer cartridge, even enough for elk out to 250 yards or so, maybe more.
    Bullets from 100 grains up to 160 grains are available. Remington loads 4 different choices in ammo: 120 and 140 grain Core-Lokt, 130 grain Swift Scirocco, and 130 grain Core-Lokt Ultra. Federal and Hornady offer ammo too. You will likely have the only 260 in camp, and you will be able to shoot it well, because it won't beat you up.
    If you want a great mule-deer cartridge you can't go wrong with a 270, a 280, a 25-06 or any of their Ackley Improved versions. There are no flies on the 257 Roberts either, just realize that you won't have the same reach as you would with a 25-06.

Leave a comment:

• Rory
    replied
    get a 30-06 of if your good enough get a .204 or a .223 i live in montana and shot deer with both calibers

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    mhough3

Take your pick Sir, but my choice is the 25-06 hands down! I own Magnums and back in 1980 I sold my 300 Win Mag and bought a 25-06 and never regretted it. The 25-06 has magnum performance and the ammo is cheaper than a magnum. For mule deer the overall performs and cost of the 25-06 slams any other cartridge. If you reload, you can make 25-06 out of 270, 280 and 30-06 and you don’t have to fire form them just shoot!
    If my 9 year old Grandson can take deer at 250 yards with one shot, imagine the performance you can get out of it!!

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Pick the 25/06!

Leave a comment:

• TheEasternShoreHunter
    replied
    25-06 is a great gun

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    For about a grand you can get a really nice looking Kimber bolt gun in 25-06. I have one and love the thing. Never seen another just like it. Had mine weatherproofed by Ultracoatingsinc of Olathe kansas.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    257 Robts Ackley Improved is an outstanding deer round and uncommon. My favorite is the 25-06 tho.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Get a BLR in a 325 WSM it packs A LOT of punch. If not that then a BLR in a 358, 35 version of a 308 good brush gun and its dying out quick. Another route is to go marlin 1895 in either a full length or a guide gun and go with a 450 marlin or 45-70. PLEANTY of knock down once again and with the 45-70 you'll be using a bullet that was here 100 years ago! prove your as good a hunter as your great granddad!!! I congratulate you on your desire to be different and if you want the high dollar rifle that NO ONE will have go for a Weatherby MK V accumark in a 338-378, a 30-378, or a 340 weatherby, you'll pay 100 dollars a box but you'll probably be the only one you know that shoots one.

CB

Leave a comment:

• rladkins1987
    replied
    I would go with the 300 win mag or the 300 ultra mag.I have had great sucess with my 300 win mag.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    for somthing different i would get a Remington m 40 308 sniper rifle. it good for deer or elk.

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    replied
    Try a .280 about the same as a .270 but it will be different from what most people have like you want.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Ruff Grouse and...

The boy is lost!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
    by PigHunter
    I've got 4455 primers total. Of those, 1274 are large rifle, 683 are small rifle. Besides that, I've got cases already primed and ready to load: 200 for...
    Today, 12:07 AM
  • Hey Folks
    by jhjimbo
    Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
    06-21-2021, 11:12 AM
  • Reply to 2020 Election - what is broken ?
    by 99explorer
    Were Poll Watchers ‘Thrown Out’ of Vote Counting Rooms?

In the wake of the 2020 presidential election, the Trump campaign spread this rumor...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • 2020 Election - what is broken ?
    by jhjimbo
    As far as I know, the rigged part of the ballots was the Presidential ticket, down ballot I don't believe were tampered with....
    Yesterday, 10:17 PM
  • Reply to Hey Folks
    by PigHunter
    I've been using factory loaded Hornady 143gr ELD-X and it's been good for deer and pigs. Accuracy at the range is under 1 MOA. But am down to 38 rounds....
    Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X