Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm buying a rifle. I know, I know.... it matters less what caliber I use on my first western hunt for mule deer, it matters mor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to be different get a 260 Remington.

That's a 308 case necked down to 6.5mm (.264)Outstanding deer cartridge, even enough for elk out to 250 yards or so, maybe more.
    Bullets from 100 grains up to 160 grains are available. Remington loads 4 different choices in ammo: 120 and 140 grain Core-Lokt, 130 grain Swift Scirocco, and 130 grain Core-Lokt Ultra. Federal and Hornady offer ammo too. You will likely have the only 260 in camp, and you will be able to shoot it well, because it won't beat you up.
    If you want a great mule-deer cartridge you can't go wrong with a 270, a 280, a 25-06 or any of their Ackley Improved versions. There are no flies on the 257 Roberts either, just realize that you won't have the same reach as you would with a 25-06.

Comment

.257 weatherby magnum

Comment

or the even more rare .240 weatherby magnum.

Comment

I would go the 280 route, different from the rest of the pack but you can still buy ammo if you don't reload.

Comment

I have a 260 Remington and have taken a couple of Mule deer out west. Shoots very well out to 300 yards

Comment

Thanks all, I'll take your answers and read up some more. I'm leading towards the Kimber or a T/C in 25-06.
              Thanks again

Comment

The 25-06 is an excellent caliber just like its big brother the 30-06 but if you want a Screamer in 25 go with the 257 Weatherby which has three factory loads or the 25 STW which you will have to make from 7mm STW, or just go with the 7mm STW which will kill anything you want to shoot here in the lower 48. Its a great load designed by Lane Simpson for The Shooting Times. Great guy and Great load.

Comment

I'm sorry also get the 257 if you go that route in a Vangard Sub-MOA you can't get a more accurate rifle without going custom.

Comment

There are a lot of good answers here, but, as my grandpa used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Any good .30 caliber firearm will work for any North American big game. If you want bragging rights, pick something, anything. If you want to fill your freezer, pick a firearm that will do the job. It doesn't matter what you choose.

Comment

Another good choice for western hunting that you don't see everyday is the .270 WSM. I personally am not a fan of these short rounds since my preference runs more toward the STW or Ultra. However people I know who have shot animals up to elk with the short fat .270 who seem extremely pleased with its performance. It and the .300 WSM may turn out to be the only long term survivors of this group of cartridges.

Comment

A cartridge designed exclusively for western hunting is the .264 Winchester Magnum. Not a lot of them around these days despite the advantages of the 6.5mm bullets. It's overshadowed by the 7mm Remington Magnum, but hey every cartrige has its niche. I believe the .264 would fill yours quite nicely.

Comment

I bought a Browning blr in 300 mag. It's my best rifle, and it's different

Comment

Magnums are fun guns as long as you dont mind the recoil. Also great bragging to friends about them

Comment

If you want to be cool -- go 45-70 and stalk in within 100 yards or so. If you want to reach out and put a touch on something, go 300 Win Mag.

Comment

RRMONT = The BLR in 300 Win Mag is next on my list! Now where am I going to get some extra money...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad