Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm buying a rifle. I know, I know.... it matters less what caliber I use on my first western hunt for mule deer, it matters mor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm buying a rifle. I know, I know.... it matters less what caliber I use on my first western hunt for mule deer, it matters mor

I'm buying a rifle. I know, I know.... it matters less what caliber I use on my first western hunt for mule deer, it matters more how good a hunter I am. I've read just about every article I can find on choosing a rifle. I rotate between preferring to buy a .243, a .270 or some magnum. When it comes down to it, I want something different from everyone else, something fun. Do you know what I mean, something really cool? What is a good caliber specifically for a Western deer hunt. If I get to hunt something else, somewhere else, I'll get a different rifle. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you want a gun that is unique, and not to many people have it I would get a 25-06 you can hunt deer to elk with this gun just change how much grain you get for the bullet.

Comment

I would go with a 7mm weatherby if you reload, it really shines with 160 to 175 grain bullets and its a dying breed. That or a 270wsm I know that alot of people have them but with a good 150grain nosler you have a hell of a elk rifle to.

Comment

If you want something unique go have yourself made a custom rifle. But when it comes to caliber I would go 270 wsm.

Comment

Ruff Grouse and...

The boy is lost!

Comment

Try a .280 about the same as a .270 but it will be different from what most people have like you want.

Comment

for somthing different i would get a Remington m 40 308 sniper rifle. it good for deer or elk.

Comment

I would go with the 300 win mag or the 300 ultra mag.I have had great sucess with my 300 win mag.

Comment

Get a BLR in a 325 WSM it packs A LOT of punch. If not that then a BLR in a 358, 35 version of a 308 good brush gun and its dying out quick. Another route is to go marlin 1895 in either a full length or a guide gun and go with a 450 marlin or 45-70. PLEANTY of knock down once again and with the 45-70 you'll be using a bullet that was here 100 years ago! prove your as good a hunter as your great granddad!!! I congratulate you on your desire to be different and if you want the high dollar rifle that NO ONE will have go for a Weatherby MK V accumark in a 338-378, a 30-378, or a 340 weatherby, you'll pay 100 dollars a box but you'll probably be the only one you know that shoots one.

CB

Comment

257 Robts Ackley Improved is an outstanding deer round and uncommon. My favorite is the 25-06 tho.

Comment

For about a grand you can get a really nice looking Kimber bolt gun in 25-06. I have one and love the thing. Never seen another just like it. Had mine weatherproofed by Ultracoatingsinc of Olathe kansas.

Comment

25-06 is a great gun

Comment

Pick the 25/06!

Comment

mhough3

Take your pick Sir, but my choice is the 25-06 hands down! I own Magnums and back in 1980 I sold my 300 Win Mag and bought a 25-06 and never regretted it. The 25-06 has magnum performance and the ammo is cheaper than a magnum. For mule deer the overall performs and cost of the 25-06 slams any other cartridge. If you reload, you can make 25-06 out of 270, 280 and 30-06 and you don’t have to fire form them just shoot!
                            If my 9 year old Grandson can take deer at 250 yards with one shot, imagine the performance you can get out of it!!

Comment

get a 30-06 of if your good enough get a .204 or a .223 i live in montana and shot deer with both calibers

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad