Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best gun to use for deer hunting in woods and on drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3030forlife
    replied
    Lever action 30-30 or shotgun!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    Although a 30/30 would be good, I love my .270 .

Leave a comment:

• buck hunter 17
    replied
    thanks for all the amswers. i think that now a good gun is a 30/30.

Leave a comment:

• hnestle
    replied
    If only been on a couple but it sound to me like alot of you are taking to big of a risk using rifles on a deer drive.

I always use a shotgun load with 3" 00 Buck Shot. A rifle bullet regardless of cal. just travels to far, especially when myself or my friends are on the drive.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Deer drives?
    YOU SCARE ME!

I remember a fella in Florida was standing in back of his truck on a dirt road waiting for deer to be pushed thru. He got so excited he shot a hole thru the roof and passed thru the dash into the intake manifold of his brand new Ford! O’By the way, his wife was asleep in the cab!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rjbedrock
    replied
    The old reliable "Model 94" 30-30.

Leave a comment:

• Rory
    replied
    a .204 or .223 both are light and can take down a deer, if you want bigger get a 25-06 or 30-06

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    An iron sighted fast handling carbine rifle such as a marlin .30-30 would be perfect. If you prefer a shotgun, a 12 gauge with 00 buck is hard to beat. If the shots are going to be a little bit longer, get some rifled slugs. Buckshot is only good to about 50 yards (reliably).

Leave a comment:

• sayerbefiddlin
    replied
    30-30 savage pump

Leave a comment:

• NNMountaineer
    replied
    remington 870 with a super-full choke designed for buckshot and 3.5" 00 Buckshot is what many people in my area use and it works well

Leave a comment:

• george dalton
    replied
    i guess the answer depends on a few things, first are rifles legal in your state? 2nd, if not are modern muzzleloaders? 3rd are you the stander,or the driver. if rifles are legal then whatever you shoot the best is probably the best.a 30-30 or a 270 are fine examples. if rifles are not legal then i'd like to cast my vote for the good old modern muzzleloader as the accurarcy of these new machines is astonishing. ultimately if you are the driver, working in and out of cover all day, you may appreciate the compact size of a lever gun such as a marlin 336 in 30-30. it should be noted as well though that many states now allow rifles chambered for handgun cartridges such as .357 and .44mag. most rifles in this category are not only great for 100 yards or less, but their compact size and weight make them delightful to carry all day!

Leave a comment:

• beagleboy
    replied
    A lever action 30-30 would be good for the woods and for drives but you have to really be careful driving deer with a rifle. If rifles are not allowed for deer hunting in your state an H&R Ultra Slug Gun is a very accurate shotgun out to 100yds, but it is on the heavy side which may not be good for drives.

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    A lever action 30/30 if in the woods and a shotgun if on a drive.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Lever action 30-30. It is short to get through the brush and packs enough punch to get the job done.

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    30-30 is always a good gun to use

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad