Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best gun to use for deer hunting in woods and on drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best gun to use for deer hunting in woods and on drives?

What is the best gun to use for deer hunting in woods and on drives?

a Remington 700 in 30-06

Comment

A bolt action in 6.5 X 55, .260 Remington or 7mm-08.
      A for lever guns a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington or a Marlin 1895 in .45/70.

Comment

I'd get a little short lever gun like the winchester model 94 trapper or the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, in the guide gun I'd go 45-70.

A 12 gauge with a slug followed by buckshot work Reeeaal well too.

I would not get a super mag with enough glass on it to see the moon. Driving deer especially if your running dogs is pretty prohibitive of it because of the action.

Comment

In my opinion, a model 94 in 30-30. quick, light, fast handling and so well balanced you can carry it all day and not be fatigued.

Comment

30-30 is always a good gun to use

Comment

Lever action 30-30. It is short to get through the brush and packs enough punch to get the job done.

Comment

A lever action 30/30 if in the woods and a shotgun if on a drive.

Comment

A lever action 30-30 would be good for the woods and for drives but you have to really be careful driving deer with a rifle. If rifles are not allowed for deer hunting in your state an H&R Ultra Slug Gun is a very accurate shotgun out to 100yds, but it is on the heavy side which may not be good for drives.

Comment

i guess the answer depends on a few things, first are rifles legal in your state? 2nd, if not are modern muzzleloaders? 3rd are you the stander,or the driver. if rifles are legal then whatever you shoot the best is probably the best.a 30-30 or a 270 are fine examples. if rifles are not legal then i'd like to cast my vote for the good old modern muzzleloader as the accurarcy of these new machines is astonishing. ultimately if you are the driver, working in and out of cover all day, you may appreciate the compact size of a lever gun such as a marlin 336 in 30-30. it should be noted as well though that many states now allow rifles chambered for handgun cartridges such as .357 and .44mag. most rifles in this category are not only great for 100 yards or less, but their compact size and weight make them delightful to carry all day!

Comment

remington 870 with a super-full choke designed for buckshot and 3.5" 00 Buckshot is what many people in my area use and it works well

Comment

30-30 savage pump

Comment

An iron sighted fast handling carbine rifle such as a marlin .30-30 would be perfect. If you prefer a shotgun, a 12 gauge with 00 buck is hard to beat. If the shots are going to be a little bit longer, get some rifled slugs. Buckshot is only good to about 50 yards (reliably).

Comment

a .204 or .223 both are light and can take down a deer, if you want bigger get a 25-06 or 30-06

Comment

The old reliable "Model 94" 30-30.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad