Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best shotgun for turkey hunting, a mossberg 835 or 935 or a remington 870 or 11-87.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best shotgun for turkey hunting, a mossberg 835 or 935 or a remington 870 or 11-87.

what is the best shotgun for turkey hunting, a mossberg 835 or 935 or a remington 870 or 11-87.

off that list the 11-87 my little brother has shot his every year at both ducks and turkeys and has had NO problems in nearly 10 years. I shoot a 835 and like it fine. I also own a 935 that I have shot exactly 3 times I HATE IT. It won't shoot the 2 3/4 shells which is why I bought it. And lastly the 870 is probably the most popular pump shotgun out there so there is nothing wrong with it either Its up to you and if you like a pump or semi.
    Turkey hunting is a LOT of walking so I would try to trim the weight as much as possible, so I'd go with an 870 or 835.

Comment

The new 870 SPS with the sure shot stock on it is really good, but I love 870's There really not bad on price too so thats a bonus.

Comment

It depends on what you want but i shoot a 20 gauge 870 with a cabelas super full choke and remington nitro turkey.. avent killed one yet but i'm optimistic

Comment

A semi-auto gives you a fast second shot without moving and dampens recoil. My favorite is the Benelli SBE.

Comment

Can't tell you the best. But my pick would be a 870. I've had mine since I was 14. Its killed 10 or so longbeards with a H.S. Undertaker. Great guns, cant go wrong with em.

Comment

I love my Remington 870 its a great gun. Extremely dependable and very versatile. I've used it for everything from doves to deer.

Comment

You can never go wrong with an 870

Comment

I have both an 870 and an 835 and prefer the NWTF Edition 835 because of the fiber optic sights and over bored, ported barrel. The patterns are incredible with the Tru Glo Strut Stopper Extreme and Federal's Flitecontrol no. 5s. Ya can't go wrong with either one.

Comment

Any of the guns you list will get the job done. In a turkey gun it is not so much the shotgun but the choke that does the work. You want to have a gun that fits you well and that you are comfortable with. If the stock is too short or too long your ability to shoot accurately will be affected. It should also carry well and have a non reflective finish.

I have turkey hunted for over 30 years and here is my preference in a gun. I want a gun that is short for ease of manuverability. It want it as light as possible for portability. I want some type of front and rear sight to aid in aiming and centering the pattern to where the barrel is pointing. I have had good luck with HS Strut's Undertaker tubes. My ammo preference is either 5's or 6's in Federal's flight control loads. I use 3 inch magnum ammo because that particular load from Federal pattens better that anything else in my gun.

My rig consists of a Remington 870, 3 inch 12 GA with a cylinder bore slug barrel that accepts screw in chokes. The barrel is equipped with the factory adjustable sights. It is short, light, quick handling and devastating on a tom. I can shuck it plenty quick if the chance for a double should come along.

Comment

870 Y'ALL

Comment

I have a 12 ga 870 supermag and these guns are hard to beat. They are cheap, nearly impossible to break, and are suitable for nearly any game species. Mine has been dropped in the mud and completely submerged on a duck hunt and 2 boxes of shells later the gun still had not jammed or failed once. I have used mine on everything from deer to ducks to ruffed grouse and it has never let me down. I also must add the 11-87's are also reliable guns too but far heavier than the 870's. I have no experience with mossberg.

Comment

Remington 870 is the best shotgun around

Comment

I own a 535 ATS, FITTS LIKE A EXTENSION OF MY RIGHT HAND. THE FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS ARE GREAT. SHOOTS TIGHT WITH THE XXFULL TURKEY CHOKE . IT WAS MADE FOR THE WINCHESTER XTRA RANGE #6 TURKEY LOADS. IT PATTERNS SUPER, 30 TO 60 YARDS. I HAVE 2 GOBBLERS TO ITS CREDIT SO FAR, KNOCK, KNOCK. LOVE THE 535
                            FIT IS EVERYTHING.CAUSE WHEN SPEED IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR, A ILL FITTING SHOTGUN CAN MEAN DISASTER

Comment

You will not go wrong with a Remington 870... those have been some of the most dependable guns. Get it in a non glare finish to not scare away the turkeys and you will be ready to go!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad