Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats better a 7mm mag or a 300 wsm

whats better a 7mm mag or a 300 wsm

and why do you think you need a magnum?? i once saw an antelope doe hit in the front shoulder w/ a 7mm mag run 100 yards, scoot under a fence and then finally die. i've never had an antelope go more than a few feet when hit with a .243.

Comment

For all practical purposes....nothing. The 7 Mag will shoot a little flatter but unless you're hunting brown bear you can cleanly take any big game animal in North America and never notice the difference. Assuming you're speaking of one of the longer 7mm magnums, rifle length and weight will differ more due to the short action of the wsm.

Comment

the 7mm has a higher Ballistic coefficent, which means better long range accuracy but we're talking 400-500 yards before it makes a great difference. The 7mm has been around since the 60s and has killed 1000s of big game animals all over North America. Its got history, the 300 WSM has been around for about 5 years or so. I'm really not a fan of the new short fat mags, they don't do anything that the longer mags can't do, they just fit in a shorter magazine/action.

Comment

again, neither is better, nothing more than preference can distinguish the two.

Comment

With lighter bullets the 7mm would give a you a bit flatter trajectory. With heavier bullets the 300 would be slightly better. Would a game animal tell the difference... no.

Comment

Both are great. The 7mm Remington had a 40 year head start and is the most plentiful and popular Magnum in the world. You will be able to find ammo for it most anywhere. Every manufacturer makes 7mm ammo, even the European, Russian and Chinese loaders.
              The Short-fat magnums have feeding problems in some rifles. The 300 WSM is the new darling of the shooting world, and it comes in shorter rifles that are marginally lighter.
              Because of the popularity of the WSM series, many ammo companies make their latest offerings available in those first. Also, because of this popularity lots of perfectly good 300 Win, 7mm Rem, and 30-06 rifles are discounted on the used rack waiting for good homes.

Comment

Both excellent and versatile. You'll never know the difference.

Comment

I have both of them and I don't see any difference at all..They both Great to me!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad