Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently purchased a new, never fired, SKS and when I first shot the rifle it did not eject the empty shell. Any reason why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently purchased a new, never fired, SKS and when I first shot the rifle it did not eject the empty shell. Any reason why?

I recently purchased a new, never fired, SKS and when I first shot the rifle it did not eject the empty shell. Any reason why?

It may need to be stripped and thoroughly cleaned. Some manufacturers put heavy coating of oil or grease on them not knowing when it will be sold, or even leave the warehouse.

Comment

During the cleaning process break it down as much as safely possible to find any defects in moving parts. After that you may need to take it to a gunsmith.

Comment

wally,Rickylee, I've never owned an SKS, but about 10 yrs ago I bought my 8yr old son a Marlin model 60. It didn't function very well the first time out so when we went home I field stripped it per manual instructions. My god, you wouldn't believe what I cleaned out. I'm not going to say it was cosmoline, but in the action whatever it was, was thick.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me. Thought my sks was dirty so cleaned it, nothing. I took it to a gun smith and he said that the gas tube was broke. I had only shot the rifle about ten times and then the rifle would not eject the shells.

Comment

check to make sure your ammo has enough powder to blow back the action.

Comment

Most likely cosmoline needs cleaned out of the action and springs. Take it apart, scrub everything clean, lightly oil and try again. If you still have problems go to your local gunsmith.

Comment

there are actually to possible reasons (or more) the first is like these guys say its probably got packing oil in it, most military rifles are notorious for that. Secondly make sure your ammo is good. Bad powder will not develope enough pressure to cycle the action.
                Probably just needs a good cleaning. Use auto degreaser and try to keep it off your skin. We use Carb cleaner and it cuts it right off. Be sure not to let it sit very long because it will take the blueing off, reoil lightly on the bolt and let er rip!

Comment

By not "ejecting the shell" - do you mean it pulls it part way out or not at all? If not at all check the bolt face claw to made sure its not too worn to grab the case. If the blow back ports are clogged - feild strip clean and clear them. If your using corrosive ammo - it foils faster.
                  Just my two pennies.

Comment

Probably full of cosmolene. break it down and give it a good cleaning, especially the gas system.

Comment

always clean a new rifle

Comment

I give it a good cleaning and try to fire it again!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad