Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.5 Creedmoor? I'll stick to my proven by time 25-06!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
    How did you transform the .532” Magnum boldface for the .300 Win Mag to the .473” boltface for the ‘06?
    J-B weld.

Comment

How did you transform the .532” Magnum boldface for the .300 Win Mag to the .473” boltface for the ‘06?
      Gorilla Glue

Comment

I wonder how the 6.5X55Sweed would be with a AI treatment on the shoulder ??

Comment

Spomer is comparing the wrong cartridge. The 6mm Creedmoor more closely resembles the performance of the 25-06. The 6.5 Creed more closely resembles the performance of the .308.

As most know, I've shot the 25-06 as my "go to" rifle for almost everything since 1967. I have been elated with the performance of that cartridge from prairie dogs to elk. It's a little light for elk but will work fine out to .308 range.

When you get to 500-600 yard hunting range for deer sized game, the 6mm Creedmoor is close to the 25-06 ballistically because it exits the muzzle about 400 fps faster than the 6.5 Creedmoor with very high B.C. bullets that hold their speed. With the correct barrel twist in each, both the 25-06 and 6mm Creed are capable of shooting 115g long range bullets that give them comparable range with exceptional precision out to 1000 yards. The .257 caliber 25-06 sits right between the .243 caliber (i.e. 6mm) and the .264 caliber (i.e. 6.5mm) and seems to combine the best properties of both. What I really like about the 6mm Creed is that I can also shoot little 58g varmint bullets at 3900 fps as a great varmint cartridge. That is quite a range when you consider it. From 22-250 speeds on the low bullet weights to .270 range and thump on the high bullet weights.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            I wonder how the 6.5X55Sweed would be with a AI treatment on the shoulder ??
            This is an outstanding cartridge and would be a bit faster with the AI treatment. When it comes to long range shooting however, it has an issue with its relative length. The 6.5 Swede has a longer case so when you try to seat the heaviest long range VLD bullets in the case, you find that they won't fit in a short action magazine unless you seat them too deep in the case. This infringes on powder capacity even in the AI version. As a result, the 6.5 Creedmoor is able to produce around 300 fps of additional velocity on a 160g bullet while fitting in a small action magazine just fine.

The Swede and .243 length cases were designed in the days when 500 yards was considered a long shot. Now, better bullets, optics, powders and barrels have moved us out to 1000 yards with precision. This long range shooting, however, works best with heavy for caliber very low drag bullets. That is why the Creeds were designed... to fill that need. The Swede and the .243 do great with smaller bullets but you run into issues, even with the AI versions when you try to shoot heavy bullets.

Comment

You install a new bolt for most rifles but just a new bolt face for Savage rifles. Since I have a gunsmith lathe, in most cases, I'd just expand the diameter of the bolt face on the lathe and add a new extactor since new bolts are so expensive. Since I haven't done it, I'd have to look into the rail width to see if that needs to be expanded too.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                6.5mm CM?
                .25-06?

Folks shoot deer with the .223.
                Heck! I've even taken deer with a .22 Hornet!
                Neither one is really adequate.
                Know a guy in east Texas that shoots a .338 Win Mag for white tails! Yikes!
                Every cartridge has +'s and -'s.
                As long as it kills deer cleanly, who cares what it's called?
                About the only difference cartridge designation makes is being sure what you shove in the chamber is the correct one.
                Pick the one you like.
                Go hunting.
                As far as deer are concerned, any center fire cartridge, with a good hunting bullet will kill them at 25 yards under a corn feeder if you can manage to place your hit into a vital zone. We all have different shooting needs though from long range targets and varmints to the largest game in North America. We also hunt different conditions from flat prairies to mountain canyons to thick eastern timbers where a bullet has a tough time getting through the brush to deer. Long live the differences and long live cartridge invention. We all get to choose what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                  --- Deleted ---
                  The precision of the 6mm and 6.5 mm Creedmoors shines when the range grows to 500 yards to 1000 yards. The 6mm Creed is outperforming most other cartridges in 1000 yard competition but they are both excellent shorter range hunting cartridges comparable to most other great hunting cartridges in their respective calibers.

They are chambered in the Ruger American rifle but of course, as an entry level rifle, one should not expect the precision in the shooting platform that is required to exploit their long range accuracy potential. I shoot both Creedmoors in high precision long range shooting platforms and would be happy to compete against any other cartridge when it comes to 1000 yard precision. That being said, there are numerous other cartridges that will perform as well when a thousandth of an inch is not in play. For example, my 14 pound 6mm Creed was fairly beaten by a 32 pound 6.5x284 with 32" barrel on 750 yard prairie dogs one day but only by a p-dog hair.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    You're comparison is apples to potatos. What makes the 6.5 creedmoor attractive is it is a short action and AR compatable. In this format it does hold its own very well. If I didn't want a short action when I bought my 700 mtn rifle, I would have picked the 280 over the 7-08. Not always about raw numbers or you would have chosen a 257 Weatherby but there are other important considerations.
                    Tree, I load lots of 6.5mm and 6mm Creed and don't have any more issues with them than with .308s. I also neck 6.5mm Creed down to 6mm Creed. I lose a few cases but not many. I'd consider the experience similar to necking down 30-06 cases to other calibers. Like with .308 cases, I get outstanding single digit standard velocity deviation from both these Creedmoor cases. Their consistent velocities and relatively high speeds make them both great cartridges at long range. Because of the velocity of the 6mm Creed and the speed retention of its low drag bullets, it drops about 30 feet less than a .308 at 1000 yards. Believe me, that helps in the predictability of your shot at 1000 yards. However, it makes very little difference in hitting a deer's chest under a corn feeder at 25 yards.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Clay. I enjoyed the article and subscribed to Spomer's blog. As most know I'm a fan of the 25-06. Ron Spomer would have found a very comparable match had he used the 6mm Creedmoor for comparison.

It brings out the MOST IMPORTANT POINT however... the 25-06 NEEDS a faster twist rate and 130g-140g bullets to kick tail at ranges out to and beyond 1000 yards. I contend that with a 7 twist barrel and good VLD bullets in this weight class, it would likely be among the most accurate cartridges in the world at 1000 yards. Elk would fear it as well.

Comment

DM, you must have a magic lathe to be able to add material to make a bolt face smaller like Clay....

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                          --- Deleted ---
                          I would like for someone to explain how the 6.5 Creedmoor does anything a 6.5x55 Swedish or 7x57 Mauser won't do with 139 or 140 gr bullets of similar construction at any sane hunting range. Not like it is some death-ray or something. The object is selling more guns and I'm ok with that.

Comment

Oooopps... thanks WAM... I was too sleepy and thinking he was going the other way as I wrote. I wouldn't try to lathe a hole smaller. I'd buy a new bolt. I have read that some gunsmiths will solder a filler into the bolt face and then turn it out to the right diameter but I'd never do that. It's just not worth it.

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind the 25-06 Rem is a first class cartridge. With good shot placement the deer or pronghorn is going down. Handloaded 120gn Nosler Partitions in my 25-06 (26" barrel) were chronographed within 50 fps of what I was getting with the same bullet in a 257 Weatherby (24" barrel). The Weatherby is a great cartridge, no doubt, but the 25-06 sure has a place in the hunting world.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad