Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.5 Creedmoor? I'll stick to my proven by time 25-06!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Creedmoor? I'll stick to my proven by time 25-06!

One of the most overlooked cartridges for long range is the 25-06. As fads comes and fads go the 25-06 originally called the 25 Neidner as endured the acid test of time. As one person said, "The 25-06 Remington is a great cartridge with a small problem: obscurity."

Years ago, when I finally shot the barrel out of my 300 Win Mag, I replaced it with 25-06 and three barrels later I never looked back.

I started my Grand Kids at 7 years old and today my 18 year old Grandson Alex Jones is the top shooter in his Army Division and my 16 year old Granddaughter last whitetail was taken at 487 yards.

25-06 in my book is the best starter cartridge for beginners and well suited for advanced shooters. The beauty about it is you'll never outgrow it regardless who you are.

For those who been around awhile should remember when both the 264 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag was duking it out and Remington won by with a media marketing blitz and now where seeing another 264/6.5 caliber being revived.

Here's a link for a good read: 25-06 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/25-06-remington-beats-6-5-creedmoor/

You're comparison is apples to potatos. What makes the 6.5 creedmoor attractive is it is a short action and AR compatable. In this format it does hold its own very well. If I didn't want a short action when I bought my 700 mtn rifle, I would have picked the 280 over the 7-08. Not always about raw numbers or you would have chosen a 257 Weatherby but there are other important considerations.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      You're comparison is apples to potatos. What makes the 6.5 creedmoor attractive is it is a short action and AR compatable. In this format it does hold its own very well. If I didn't want a short action when I bought my 700 mtn rifle, I would have picked the 280 over the 7-08. Not always about raw numbers or you would have chosen a 257 Weatherby but there are other important considerations.
      Definitely apples to oranges, which is a bit of a Ron Spomer speciality. The 6.5 creedmoor came about because of accuracy at long range, combined with shorter length for rapid fire competition. There are a lot of cartridges that will do all sorts of things better, but there's probably not one of them that combines that level of inherent accuracy, with such an amazing BC and the shorter length. Comparing the .260 rem to the 6.5 Creed would make sense for an article, but the .25-06?!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
        --- Deleted ---
        I've got nothing against the round, it seems like a fantastic one to me. But, I still like making fun of it, because, well... it's just fun to make fun of trendy things for some reason. Personally, I think the .260 makes more sense for hunters...

Comment

--- Deleted ---
          The 260Rem is a 6.5~08, My better half loves it, her last deer taken was just under 200yd one shot stop!

Comment

I can agree, I'm not a huge fan of the 308 but I have 2 rifles chambered for it, because I wanted the short action for those particular platforms, plus the ability to effectiently use a 20" barrel.

Comment

I agree with Mr.DOUGFIRE....the 260 Rem is a easy reload the 6.5Cmoor is not.

Comment

6.5mm CM?
                .25-06?

Folks shoot deer with the .223.
                Heck! I've even taken deer with a .22 Hornet!
                Neither one is really adequate.
                Know a guy in east Texas that shoots a .338 Win Mag for white tails! Yikes!
                Every cartridge has +'s and -'s.
                As long as it kills deer cleanly, who cares what it's called?
                About the only difference cartridge designation makes is being sure what you shove in the chamber is the correct one.
                Pick the one you like.
                Go hunting.

Comment

--- Deleted ---
                  I'm with Dougfir. I can see the use of the 6.5CM, but there's so many tacti-cool guys out there thinking this is the end-all-be-all centerfire round.

Comment

--- Deleted ---
                    I'm a 6.8mm kinda guy.
                    The 6.5mm requires an AR10 upper and lower.
                    If I'm going to tote all that around, I'm going .308 Win.

Comment

Resize, reprime, charge and seat a bullet. What's so difficult?

Comment

How did you transform the .532” Magnum boldface for the .300 Win Mag to the .473” boltface for the ‘06?

Comment

FB, Finding 30 T/C Unfired Brass.

Comment

Interesting article. The cartridge seems to have kept a following out here. Plenty of cases to be necked down and it shoots heavy enough and flat.

Comment

Lots of companies are making 6.5 CM brass at this point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad