Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot 7.62x51NATO rounds through a Remington 770 308W?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
    Never tried it. Just remember 7.62x51 will shoot safely in a gun chambered for 308 but not the other way around.

.223 will fire in a 5.56 rifle fine but 5.56 is not safe to shoot through a .223
    Yeah, I know outlaw...and it may be a good "general rule".
    To me, it sounds more like something someone started by being overly cautious. (anal retentive?)

Leave a comment:

• Outlaw
    replied
    Never tried it. Just remember 7.62x51 will shoot safely in a gun chambered for 308 but not the other way around.

.223 will fire in a 5.56 rifle fine but 5.56 is not safe to shoot through a .223
    Bubba I haven't heard of any incidents either and I'd probably feel fine shooting them both from a 223 as well (though I've never shot a gun marked 223 they've all been 5.56). By if you go 'by the books' that's the general rule

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    replied
    I've been shooting the two for decades, GO FOR IT!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

I've only shot the one AR10 in .308 Win. The barrel is stamped .308 Win. I've never had any ammo head stamped 7.62×51 so can't attest to your claim.
    On the other hand, I have four fingers and a thumb.....!
    Silliness aside, I've shot AR15's with barrels marked both ways.
    .223 and 5.56
    I've shot both types ammo in both types chambered barrels.
    I know the premise as to "why", but with the hundreds of rounds I've burned, I've never had the first problem, 5.56 in .223 or vice versa.

I've never seen/read any documented incident of any consequence to using "mil-surp" ammo in a .223.

Leave a comment:

• Outlaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    No.
    But I have through a PSA PA10.
    Awesome round!
    Awesome rifle!
    I shot (and still do) a .270 Win for years. It's performance on the game I pursued is excellent and I saw no reason to change.
    Then I discovered AR platform rifles.
    I have become enamoured with the AR10 in 7.62×51 and the AR15 in 6.8mm SPC.
    Both very effective.

Leave a comment:

• Anyone shoot 7.62x51NATO rounds through a Remington 770 308W?

I know that the 7.62x51NATO is the 308W. So I'm wondering if anyone has fired that in a Remington 770?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad