~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 45/70 Gov.VS 450 Marlin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 45/70 Gov.VS 450 Marlin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Witch One of the Two Great Calibers best suit Your Hunting Needs,They Now Make Reduce Recoil Ammo for both Calibers. What say You.

The only use I'd have for either of them is to carry for protection in bear territory, and I'd probably go with the 45-70 in the Marlin Guide Gun. Nice compact gun, plus I haven't seen much 450 on the shelves

Comment

I'm not a big lever action fan but I do realize that many are! The 450 Marlin is a formidable round capable of killing anything in North America and so can be said the same for the 45/70 with proper loads. I think if I had my druthers I would take the 450 Marlin with its 3500 ft lbs of energy either in the Marlin or Browning BLR.

Comment

Oh you done did it now Treestand. It's on! Talk about a "loaded" question. LOL

To be honest, I waver back and forth. I don't currently reload so I stick the comparison to factory ammo of which there has been a lot of improvement in the .45-70 side for a while now. There still basically identical. The .450 had heavier brass (but harder to find), with more modern loads, and rifles, I don't know that it's even truly a factor.

I think right now I'm in the 1895M .45-70 camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          Oh you done did it now Treestand. It's on! Talk about a "loaded" question. LOL

To be honest, I waver back and forth. I don't currently reload so I stick the comparison to factory ammo of which there has been a lot of improvement in the .45-70 side for a while now. There still basically identical. The .450 had heavier brass (but harder to find), with more modern loads, and rifles, I don't know that it's even truly a factor.

I think right now I'm in the 1895M .45-70 camp.
          Bucky, They make three types of ammo for the 45/70 One is loaded down for use in older trap door models with three loading's for today's Rifles anything from Hornady is for today's modern Guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
            I'm not a big lever action fan but I do realize that many are! The 450 Marlin is a formidable round capable of killing anything in North America and so can be said the same for the 45/70 with proper loads. I think if I had my druthers I would take the 450 Marlin with its 3500 ft lbs of energy either in the Marlin or Browning BLR.
            Good Thinking, If i were into the Joly Green Giant Killer! The 450 Marlin would be for me.

Comment

I have both the .450 Marlin and .45/70. The .450 operates at about twice the pressure of the older .45/70. To get full potential from the .45/70 it is a reloading proposition.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think the .450 Marlin is the ideal feral hog medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I have both the .450 Marlin and .45/70. The .450 operates at about twice the pressure of the older .45/70. To get full potential from the .45/70 it is a reloading proposition.
                  Very Nice Rifle! I have one in 350 Marlin and it kikes a tad(+) more then a 35 Rem.

Comment

Nice gun and rack , I miss the days of gun racks and gun cabinets

Comment

I miss the days of a Gun Cabinets on display and wall hangers. Now a days you cant trust your "Neighbors"

Comment

I just finished putting this rack together and it will hang over the fireplace. I rotate the rifles so I don't get tired of looking at the same one.
                        I believe the .450Marlin was designed for the guides and bush pilots going for moose and bears.
                        I reload for it and also have some Hornady Leverevolution for it.

Comment

I have always loved the 45-70. Just something about it speaks to me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad