Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after all of your suggestions for a great gun. i am considering alot of them . but im stuck on a 270 or 30-06 .does the 270 have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Go with the 30-06 like above stated!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pistolhunter
    replied
    If just Whitetail is what your after too 100 yards get a 243

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    The 30-06 has more bullet choices and weights especially if you are going to reload. Its an excellent choice for anything on N. America.

The difference between the two are minimal. I just like the 30-06 because I can use bullets in my 308 and 300 just as easy.

As far as the 22-250 I LOVE that round. everyone is hyped up about the 204 and all that but the 22-250 has been around for a LONG time and for the bigger varmits its great.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    go with the 30-06 its much better and wont damage the game any more than a 270.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    The 30-06 has by far the highest number of factory loads available. I've owned several guns in both cartridges. That and the fact that the 06 will shoot heavier bullets is really the only difference in the two worth considering.

Leave a comment:

• dukerjj
    replied
    take a 06 it is so versatile it can be used for pretty much anything even prairie dogs lol

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Take the 30/06 it will give you better performance on Elk sized game and has a multitude of loads available. The .270 won't be any "easier" on a deer at 10 yards than the '06...

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Because both cartridges will provide you with the power and versatility you require (and I could say the same for several other cartridges, like the .308 and 7mm-08), it comes down to individual choices. You're not just purchasing a cartridge, but a rifle/cartridge combination. Even in the same model, you may feel better about one than another, so I agree with rabbitpolice88; try them out and see which one provides the subtle difference. You've narrowed your choices to two excellent cartridges, so the decision-maker has to include something more than accuracy and performance on game (both cartridges will provide all you require and more); it has to include other issues. Is there one you enjoy reloading more than the other? Does one perform better in your hands than the other? As far as cartridge choices go, you've made wise decisions. Now it comes down to a choice of the individual rifle, and that (in my opinion) will probably be the more difficult decision, because there are a number of great rifles from which to choose!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    AMEN BROTHER Jim in Mo

For the beginner, I suggest the 30-06 period if you’re going to hunt Elk. For out west the Hornady 130 grain soft point I find works fantastic on Mule Deer. For deer hunting off the shelf 150 grain soft points and you don’t have to get fancy about on some “Nuclear Tipped” bullet just to down a deer! As I said before I’ve shot more deer including Monster Mulies all with one shot just as dead as my 30-06 with Moose load 180 grain Nosler Partitions than all my rifles combined!

I remember one hunter Buck Canyon New MExioco shot a Mule Deer 3 times with a 7mm Rem Mag 175 grain and ran out of ammo. He yelled at me to drop the Teflon Buck. Range was about 600-700 yards out. With one shot the 55 grain pill out of my 22-250 dropped it like a Mac Truck!

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    Shoot the two calibers and see which one you are more accurate with. Which one are you more confident handling? There is a difference in how they shoot, I prefer the .270 for these reasons, I am more accurate with it and I have shooter confidence with the .270.

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    replied
    Like the other 2 said I don't think a .270 has any less power than an 06. I've shot deer at 10 yds and had no problems they just fell over and with a 165 gr soft point their was a quarter sized exit hole.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    '06 has more bullet loadings and the distance you shoot a deer will make no difference between these two cartridges.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    The 2 calibers are so close I don't think your concern for damage to game is relevant. Choose the right bullet for your game and distance. you may want to look into the managed recoil bullets if you think standard loads for these calibers are a bit too hot for your shooting needs.

Leave a comment:

• after all of your suggestions for a great gun. i am considering alot of them . but im stuck on a 270 or 30-06 .does the 270 have

after all of your suggestions for a great gun. i am considering alot of them . but im stuck on a 270 or 30-06 .does the 270 have as many cartiage sizes like the 06 for small game ranging to elk , because i think the 06 might have a little to much power for shooting whitetails at 5-100 yards away considering my two deer this year were 10 and 75 yards ,do you think the 270 is a better choice then the 30-06 for me. and also this would be strickly for deer now my brother recently got a 22-250 from my uncle to keep at our house last night that we can use for coyotes?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Spam here is insane...
    by FirstBubba
    Ernie, I've joined a couple of "sites" that has "on forum moderators".
    Sadly, I'm the one who got censored for a very innocuous...
    Today, 04:26 PM
  • The Spam here is insane...
    by Ernie
    With no one here deleting the spammers, this forum has gone to the dogs/spammers.
    I enjoy the folks here, but with no one to reign in the spammers...
    10-16-2020, 01:51 PM
  • Reply to Hello, hope you're all doing okay.
    by PigHunter
    Great suggestion, I'm sure it was indeed a hit! ... I'll need to practice that one because I've never been able to do it justice.

For this...
    Today, 03:56 PM
  • Hello, hope you're all doing okay.
    by MattM37
    Hey, Fellas. Just wanted to say that it's good to be talking with you guys again. I hope you and yours have been well. How's the fall hunting...
    Yesterday, 05:36 PM
  • Reply to Hello, hope you're all doing okay.
    by MattM37
    'Preciate the welcome-back, and the karaoke updates. Your next night out, I recommend "Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by the Righteous Brothers....
    Today, 02:44 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X