Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best caliber for hunting deer in Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best caliber for hunting deer in Florida?

According to the Florida Sportsman magazine, "legally, you can use a .22-250 or a .223, but practically and ethically, however, a .243 is the smallest caliber that most experts recommend for hunting whitetail...Good rifle calibers for Florida deer include the venerable .30-30, .25-06, .270 and .30-06."

Bear in mind that in most parts of Florida, there will be wild boar to contend with.

Comment

Are Florida deer abnormally small or big compared to average? Is there unique hunting conditions involved? Curious that with all your experience you ask this question. I offer no answers because if it is a different situation , I am ignorant.

Comment

The last four you listed are fine rounds for deer. Personal preference. Find a rifle you like in one of those calibers and have at it. The only thing I consider at 30-30 a thick woods rounds. And it has nothing to do with brush bucking it has everything to do with a short compact quick cycling rifle. The .243 is fine deer round it's just like all the rest you have to do you part. Good luck let us know what you decide.

Comment

No .280Rem Love?? Say it ain't so!

Welp, in that case if you like the .243 you'll really love the .25-06

Comment

7x57 M or 7mm-08 Remington would be about all you would need. A .257 Roberts would be great also.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Are Florida deer abnormally small or big compared to average? Is there unique hunting conditions involved? Curious that with all your experience you ask this question. I offer no answers because if it is a different situation , I am ignorant.
              I believe the average whitetail buck would weigh 125 lbs. and the does about 95 lbs. But the feral hogs can be enormous, with heavy armor plating on the front end that can stop a .44 Magnum bullet.

Comment

whatever one you have in you hand bigger then the minimal legal caliber

Comment

The size of deer in Florida are different depending on location: Key deer 30-40lb, Ever Glades deer 120+/-lb,Central Fl,deer 145-160lb,North Fl,deer 170-210lb Size dependent on food & minerals.
                  The "most" common deer caliber used in Fl, 243,257Bob,260,7-08,7x57,270,30/30,35Rem,308.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                    7x57 M or 7mm-08 Remington would be about all you would need. A .257 Roberts would be great also.
                    Isn't that the simple truth!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                      The size of deer in Florida are different depending on location: Key deer 30-40lb, Ever Glades deer 120+/-lb,Central Fl,deer 145-160lb,North Fl,deer 170-210lb Size dependent on food & minerals.
                      The "most" common deer caliber used in Fl, 243,257Bob,260,7-08,7x57,270,30/30,35Rem,308.
                      Not sexy but all quite effective!

Comment

Someone forgot to tell this to my Florida friends. One hunts with a slug gun, the other hunts with a 444 marlin. Why? Because they are pig hunters 12 months out of the year, and only deer hunters for about 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                          Bear in mind that in most parts of Florida, there will be wild boar to contend with.
                          Would a boar that has not been shot at attack?
                          When I hunted them they seemed to try to run away, like a black bear in the Adirondacks. If wounded or cornered, that is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                            O.k. I got it. The chances of a pig encounter are the driving force in what would be the most effective caliber choice. Makes sense. Thanks 99EX.

Comment

What happens when a Florida bowhunter stumbles on a pi$$ed off pig? I hope they carry sidearms down there?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad