Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinning the herd? Should I sell some of my rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinning the herd? Should I sell some of my rifles?

Gents;
    I’m considering thinning the battery of left-handed rifles under my care. I’ll explain the situation and take your comments under advisement.
    Nobody freak out yet, I’m not going anywhere; Lord Willing. At some point, years from now, I’m going to expire and my lovely bride will be stuck trying to unload these gems. If I do it now, when I’m not in a hurry and can let the market come to me, it may work out better for everyone. Nobody in my house nor people I know shoot left handed, so gifting is not likely. These rifles are good shooters, none are dogs. I don’t have time to test loads or even shoot all these rifles I currently own.
    Some factors I’m weighing in this decision are: These are left-handed, so everything has been found fortuitously in my wide and wild searching over the years. Lefty rifles are rare, and most are 7mm. To let go of any “lefty” rifle is tough for me to do. (Only one is 7mm, and I’d like to keep it.) The used market is weak right now, so I may lose my shirt.
    The list includes:
    A. Remington 788, custom barreled to .260 Remington.
    B. Browning A-bolt 7mm Remington Magnum, Stainless Stalker.
    C. Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, 308.
    D. Forbes model 24B, stainless in 30-06 Springfield, (it’s really light!)
    E. Savage 110LD, 338 Win Mag, has 20” barrel, Timney trigger, Ramline synthetic stock.
    F. Ruger Hawkeye “Alaskan” stainless, in 375 Ruger, laminated stock, Iron sights, and no dorky muzzle-brake.
    If I keep just 3 hunting rifles, I think it would be the Ruger Alaskan for big-stuff, the Forbes 24B for a sheep/goat/mountain rifle, and the 7mm Browning for everything else. If I cut it down to just one, it would likely be the Savage 338.
    What say you, keepers of ultimate rifle knowledge?
    Attached Files

I am thinking of doing the same thing and would probably list mine on Gunbroker.com.

Comment

Another vote for Gunbroker.
      Easy and no hassle, can set reserve price.
      If she can use a computer, there's no hurry.

My dad getting older and now feels the "pressure" to get rid of stuff. Other old time shooters I know are saying similar. And not a one needs the money. Most don't have wimmins either.

Old farts get an idea and just run silly with it. Proly donate all the money to a cat rescue or religious network.

Comment

jimbo that's the way to go. but your fighting Spring Gun sales, Best time is July.

Comment

I think you picked a good 3 to keep, pretty guns as well. I recently sold a lot of my guns as well, for different reasons. Even if your family never hunts with them though, they may enjoy having a part of your collection.

Comment

I have a brother who is left handed the problem is he doesn't really hunt. The three your keeping look really nice bet the ones your sell are probably just as good

Comment

Guy I worked with died. Has nice stuff but he hunted with 'em, so they aint perfect.
              Also has a few shoulder mounts of elk/deer.
              His widow thinks they are worth a fortune.
              She has remarried.
              And still isn't all bent out of shape about selling the stuff to generate income, get the crap outta the house or any other reason. She will probably die with everything still on the walls, in the gun safe.

IMHO she is like all the rest. Not sentimental. If anything, will be spiteful.
              Do no woman such favors.

Sell whatever you want, but for other reasons.

Comment

If it were me I'd sell the guns that you don't use. Then use that money to either upgrade or buy something completely different that fills in a gap that you may have. The important thing for me would be to find something that I'd actually use. A gun is a tool, it needs to be used to have any value for me. If I don't use it there isn't much point in letting it sit there and collect dust. You can also sell the rifles and buy something completely unrelated to firearms. Maybe take a little vacation, fund a hunting trip, upgrade fishing electronics, buy a life time supply of Spam for the bunker, the possibilities are endless.

Comment

i would personally keep the 260 rem, 30-06, and 338 mag. That is a fine collection of guns do with them what you want and enjoy the fruits of your gun sales.

Comment

I like the three choices you have made and I would be happy to hang onto them until the last minute. They are fun to look at and you never know when you may get a chance to use them. There are lots of left handed shooters in the U.S. List them on Gunbroker and let the add run. I've bought a lot of rifles on Gunbroker.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                      I like the three choices you have made and I would be happy to hang onto them until the last minute. They are fun to look at and you never know when you may get a chance to use them. There are lots of left handed shooters in the U.S. List them on Gunbroker and let the add run. I've bought a lot of rifles on Gunbroker.
                      Just so everybody understands. I'm not even 50 yet, and I'm in reasonably good health, but even so all of us are going to die, I don't expect it soon, but I want to have cleared a few things off the bucket list before then. I just wanted to know what everybody on here thinks of my choices, Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by 357 View Post
                        i would personally keep the 260 rem, 30-06, and 338 mag. That is a fine collection of guns do with them what you want and enjoy the fruits of your gun sales.
                        The 260 seems to be struggling under the shadow the the 6.5 Creedmoore as of late. There is always 260 ammo on the shelf, but the other is really hot right now. This is not a light rifle, and I have not hunted with it very much. I have taken a few mule deer with it, but that is all. The 7mm is a real tack-driver and I really hate to part with it, but I like your ideas too.

Comment

I like your choices. I think about the same thing often these days. The other day a friend was discussing pistols and one in particular that he would like but can't seem to find locally. I have one in the safe that I bought for my wife and she hates it. I have not carried it for 2 years so it just sits in the safe. Thinking I should sell it to my friend. Also have 2 Mark V 7mm Weatherby Magnums.why? Because I could not pass up a bargain on the second one. I should get rid of one of them and the .300 Weatherby Mk V. Just how many elk rifles does one man need? I haven't fired my .358 Winchester in years, either. Such a dilemma.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Just Right
                            by 99explorer
                            Aileen Carol Wuornos was an American serial killer. In 1989–1990, while engaging in street prostitution along highways in Florida, she shot dead and robbed...
                            Today, 09:44 AM
                          • Just Right
                            by jhjimbo
                            Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                            06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                          • Reply to Just Right
                            by FirstBubba
                            labrador12

"... I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! ..."

A handgun is to get you to your long gun! LOL!
                            Today, 09:34 AM
                          • Reply to Just Right
                            by dewman
                            Wasn't offended my amigo, only confused. Lately my default setting 🤦🏻‍♂️👍🏻Not a fan as well. I carry a 357 when I'm packing....
                            Today, 09:33 AM
                          • Reply to Just Right
                            by FirstBubba
                            Lot's of folks carry the 9mm. In fact, several federal agencies have dropped the .40 S&W for the 9mm.
                            I think and the agency I'm most familiar...
                            Today, 09:31 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X