Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Rifle do you prefer, .30/06 or .270, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Rifle do you prefer, .30/06 or .270, and why?

Which Rifle do you prefer, .30/06 or .270, and why?

There is no doubt that the 30/06 is a great round and has proved it self time and time again on big game all over the globe. However I prefer the .270 because I am more accurate with a .270 than a 30/06. A .270 can handle almost as much as a 30/06 and quite frankly I believe it is just as good if shot placement is good. For me the .270 kicks less and gives me more shooter confidence. I have taken a good amount of deer with this caliber and love the way it performs.

Comment

Like rabbit said my choice is based on what fits me best. My .30-06 has proven itself time and again as a great deer rifle with great stopping power. That being said I've seen .270s drop deer in similar situations that I have used my .30-06 with no problems.

Comment

I gotta go with the .270. I grew up a big Jack O'Connor fan and my .270 has sealed the deal its fair share of times.

Comment

I personally like me .30/06 better and it has seemed to be more effective for me. Perhaps I am a little biased seeing how it was my first rifle.

Comment

Both of the standard cartridges are excellent choices, and I've owned rifles chambered for both. This is a personal priority with which you may not identify, it may not factor into your decision process, but I do enjoy reloading and the spectrum of thirty caliber bullets is as broad as you're likely to find in any rifle cartridge, and there are match bullets available in thirty caliber (.308 diameter) but I've not seen any for the .270 (.277 dia.). As a hunting cartridge, the .270 Win is no less reliable on deer than the .30-'06; the definitive issue would be bullet placement, since these cartridges (with similar bullet weights) are in much the same class. Don't lose too much sleep over this, because both are fine cartridges; this choice is a win-win situation.

Comment

I have shot both in recent years and have come to really like the flat shot that a .270 gives, but have always been a little wary about the somewhat "inferior" stopping power of the .270 in brush compared to the .30-'06. However, after dropping a nice buck this fall at 110 yards with the .270 through more dense stuff than I really like to shoot through, it's safe to say I'm hooked. I believe bullet choice also has a lot to do with it and I tend to favor the Hornady 140 Gr. SST Loads, as they tend to expand very much on impact but fly very flat. However, the downside is the price tag of about $35 for a box of 20.

Comment

If you’re going to hunt Elk, the 30-06 is my #1 choice if not I’d pick the 25-06 hands down. 30-06 is far more versatile than the 270. The 25-06 is like crossing a 22-250 varmint rifle with a 30-06 and works fantastic on Mule Deer and Caribou! In fact the 25-05 is the smallest on the list of recommended cartridges for Elk.

THE 25-06 IS NO PUNK!

Comment

The 30/06 would be my choice. It is a versatile cartridge which as seen world wide acceptance. Ammo is available in any hardware store and there are an astounding variety of bullets and loads available. If one looks at the ballistic charts you will find little practical difference in trajectorys. When cornered even Cactus Jack had to admit the 30/06 was a more versatile cartridge. It was also on his favorite list.

Comment

.30-06 has won 2 world wars and has accounted for more big game than any other cartridge combined. I love the 270 but you can't go wrong with the 3006. You can go from the 55grain accelerator for varmints to a 220 grain bullet for moose.

Comment

270 because it is a better gun to carry around. It has the right amount of power and it is smaller. But I would use a 30-06 for hunting because it has alot of power.

Comment

270 its good for deer and elk and alot of other stuff

Comment

the 30-06 is just the best round ever made. i have a 270. two 30-06 and a 7mm mag and i like my 06 the best.

Comment

30-06...for the simple reason that there is a load for every game animal in north america...Here in Alaska, Ive used my '06 to take grizzly and black bear, moose, caribou and dall sheep, with no problems...I have also used the '06 to take mulie, whitetail, elk and pronghorn in Montana...

I dont discount the .270 though, its a great round but I prefer the 30-06...

Comment

30-06

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X