Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about the .17HMR

How do you feel about the .17HMR

I hear it is a great gun and shoot flat. the only downside is the cost of AMMO. but it is bigger than a .22 and i would imagine be great on Foxes

Comment

I hear it is a great gun and shoot flat. the only downside is the cost of AMMO. but it is bigger than a .22 and i would imagine be great on Foxes

Comment

sorry double post

Comment

The .17HMR is a fun gun to shoot and is very accurate and flat shooting, but I would much rather shoot my .22LR. My friends and I went out shooting ground squirrels and my buddy brought his .17HMR and the rest of us had .22LR. Let's just say that by the end of the day he was shooting my .22LR because for the same price, I had about four times the ammo.

Comment

i dont like them if youre gonna buy a smallbore rifle get a 22lr 1) there expensive 2)the ammo is exspensive

Comment

If you're saying you hate them you must not have shot one very much. I use mine for calling coons and it will work for coyotes in a pinch. If you hit a coon close to the head it will be dead which is important for what I use it for. .22 lr are a lot cheaper but they don't have the punch of a .17 HMR. And I paid the same amount for my .17 as I did a 10/22 so I wouldn't say they are expensive.

Comment

I agree with Herbie. I love mine! The ammo for a 17 is a little more expensive, but its the most accurate gun I have ever shot! More accurate than my brothers 10/22. And fun as hell to shoot!

Comment

its is a great coyote gun. my brother won one at a NWTF meeting, and he shoots coyotes with it out to 400 yds.

Comment

I personally don't care for the round as it is more pricy to shoot than a .22 LR and I have reloaded for and shot .17 Remingtons for almost 3 decades. I love those little 25 grainers at 4 grand for p-dawgs. Nevertheless lots of folks in Wyoming have enjoy the .17 HMR. The local guns stores have told me that sells of guns and ammo continue to be good plus the storeowners like them. You would need to buy a .17 cleaning kit and pay more for ammo so if this is acceptable I guess it is worth a try just be have another gun.

Comment

I'd rather stick with the 22LR and besides, I still have a case of 22 Mag I haven't shot up yet!

Comment

Good flat shooting cartridge. Ammo is frightfully expensive!

Comment

gOOD GUN FOR VARMITS

Comment

Its a great gun, but it is not a 400 yard gun. It can reach out to 200 pretty good as long as there is no wind.

Comment

I wish i had one to use on a woodchuck last summer but overall a good gun to use when a .22 falls short

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad