Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I heard something about Remington 700's and a problem with them firing by themselves. Have any of you heard about this? Something about the safety spring isnt strong enough to hold the firing pin back...? And the fact that Remington has been coveri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard something about Remington 700's and a problem with them firing by themselves. Have any of you heard about this? Something about the safety spring isnt strong enough to hold the firing pin back...? And the fact that Remington has been coveri

I heard something about Remington 700's and a problem with them firing by themselves. Have any of you heard about this? Something about the safety spring isnt strong enough to hold the firing pin back...? And the fact that Remington has been covering this up since the 70's?

CNBC did a very biased show years ago.
    The old style "Walker trigger" does not alow for bolt open with safety on.
    People with neglected guns, deaf fingers and no understanding of the safety rules and or decent motorskills had "accidents".

Yes, the old triggers usually did not allow for much adjustment (due to a spring that had very little range).
    Many adjusted them unsafe, or did to "safe" but didn't seal the adjustment screws.

A spring change, adj and test to safe (whatever that can be) and reseal of screws is usually good enough.

Emptying a 700.........one does not need to ram shells fully into the chamber to cycle the action. But many do.
    And doing so on ANY firearm, without pointing it in a safe direction...............is just asking for it.

Stupid people make the best stars for liberal pseudo reporting.

There was a recall on the newer triggers, due to some adhesive contamination/excess. That affects the X mark Pro triggers of a certain time frame.

Treat every gun as if loaded, keep the booger hook off the bang switch and don't use WD40 as a cleaner/lube. Don't own a small screwdriver unless one assumes the risk of using it.

I have bought 2 Remingtons with unsafe triggers (old style). Both were adjusted by idiots. Saw another that went off, when adjusted by a new to rifles guy. All 3 were the fault of the owner.

All 3 were easily fixed.

Learned how to safely empty my Remington rifles without fully chambering a round.........in 5th grade.

Sure there might be some legit issues with the older guns/triggers............but the show was a smear campaign to demonize bolt actions (since all the sniper shows were popular). The left had already made AR's into the tools of the devil.

Comment

I watched the CNBC show. To the casual observer it didn't look good. But I saw through their phrasing, leading questions and other.

It was pretty damn crappy actually.

One should watch this after the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg

Comment

Cd2. Another problem is lever guns of which I proudly own a Marlin guide gun. The hammer safe becomes too easy to rely on for hunting. Can't go off if the hammer is not cocked, right? Wrong. If you cycle a round using gloves and do not use the extra safe, the glove will catch the trigger before the bolt is completly closed, and when you close an unintended bang may result. Thank God I was at the range alone that day. I have had only 2 unintended discharges in my life and that was one. Put the fear of God back in me. TV is guilty of misrepresentation of firearms. They are not toys of any type. They are deadly serious and must be respected always. Untrained irresponsible inexperienced people who can't weigh consequences cause most if not all firearm problems.

Comment

Had a potential customer get rather loud after he tested my 600 and it tripped.

He had his finger on the side of the trigger (but didn't feel it). He swore repeatedly that he didn't.

I freaking watched!

Showed him what he did, then proceeded to beat the gun on the floor and bench, safety on/off. Surprised I didn't crack the stock..............and he finally agreed.

It only goes "click" when the trigger is pulled.

Finger OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD is not the same as not on the trigger, or not feeling a trigger.

Yes, mechanical events can cause a gun to fire.

I saw a TC Muzzleloader go bang, due to a debris issue in the lock (wood chip). Removed it behaved normally ever after.

Also saw a Series 90 Gold Cup lock the FP fwd and slam when slide dropped. Known problem. Converted to 70 Series and no prob after.

In both instances the guns were pointed in safe directions. But then, the shooters were smart guys.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySquirrel View Post
            Cd2. Another problem is lever guns of which I proudly own a Marlin guide gun. The hammer safe becomes too easy to rely on for hunting. Can't go off if the hammer is not cocked, right? Wrong. If you cycle a round using gloves and do not use the extra safe, the glove will catch the trigger before the bolt is completly closed, and when you close an unintended bang may result. Thank God I was at the range alone that day. I have had only 2 unintended discharges in my life and that was one. Put the fear of God back in me. TV is guilty of misrepresentation of firearms. They are not toys of any type. They are deadly serious and must be respected always. Untrained irresponsible inexperienced people who can't weigh consequences cause most if not all firearm problems.
            Your gun was cocked when cycling the action. It simply didn't stay back (due to glove contacting trigger).

I'm not a lever gun fan but dang if the new crossbolt safeties didn't ugly up some decent looking guns.

Comment

If you've got one, Remington will fix the trigger for you. A buddy of mine did it on an old ADL and the new trigger is not only safer (apparently), but it's of much better quality.

Comment

Agree with everything you said CD. I've been lucky and blessed to never have a weapon discharge when it wasn't supposed to. But I like yourself learned the rules of firearm Saftey in about the 5th grade. Actually younger I was allowed a BB gun when I was 5 under supervision of course. And my old man is a jarhead so he's more of a action kinda of guy than a talker. It only takes one good whipping to learn what you need to. I'm not fan of gun control but maybe an IQ test wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Call Remington and give them your serial number and they will tell you if anything needs to be done. I also heard you can check on their web site but have never tried it.

I manipulate all safeties on all my firearms to see if I can get them to fail. So far I never had one fail. You can see video on YouTube of various ways to check a safety.

My single shot NEF has a transfer bar and I consider to be one of the safest. A BLR .308 I had Browning recommended carrying with the hammer all the way down. The rifle had what is called an inertia firing pin and Browning said no drop of jar could be sufficient to cause a discharge.
                  I have been near two discharges. One a guy was unloading a .303 Enfield and shot the dirt. Another a guy was doing something and it went off, into a Chev Suburban, up and across the top of the windshield and out the A post on the other side. Real scary. Be safe.

Comment

It's Simple Rem M-700 & Rem M-7 .Made May.1-2006 to April.9-2014 are on a list. check your SN.# on line.

Comment

I have seen a couple that went off after the safety was removed. The first 700 in question was not altered in ay way, trigger was not adjusted and the rifle was cleaned annually by a certified gunsmith. The first time it discharged I thought my buddies wife may have had her finger on the trigger but the second time it happened to his daughter on the range and his daughter did not have her finger on the trigger. My buddy tried it numerous times and it finally discharged again. He had the trigger replaced. One of my other friends had the same type of malfunction. Remove the safety and the gun fires. Again the firearm had not be altered or the trigger had not been adjusted. Firearm was cleaned by certified gunsmith. After 3 incidents he replaced the trigger. I know of 2 other incidents doing the same thing. Both owners replaced the triggers.

Comment

I've owned many and have my boys use them also, I feel Remington makes a quality product and have never had one go off without the trigger being pulled. Sarge01 says he has and I don't doubt him for a second so if you own the recalled year send it in but I would not hesitate to use it. I have witnessed other rifles go off without the trigger being pulled but it all those cases it was kitchen table gunsmithing to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                          If you've got one, Remington will fix the trigger for you. A buddy of mine did it on an old ADL and the new trigger is not only safer (apparently), but it's of much better quality.
                          Remington will ONLY fix the trigger under the recall if you have the newer X-Mark Pro trigger mechanism they started installing around 2006. I have the older Walker trigger mechanism (my model 700 was made 1981) and after a call to Remington this morning, confirmed they won't touch it... yet. There is a class-action lawsuit in process for the Walker trigger and until that is settled, Remington won't repair it.

Comment

Check out the CNBC investigation on the Remington 700. It's more common than you think. So common even among armed forces and police that they coined the false fire, "A Remington Moment"

I just saw the response video by Remington. It's really hard to say what happened. I guess it could have been due to tampering or poor maintenance...

Comment

I had this happen to me with my Remington 700BDL. I am right handed. I was zeroing the scope. I was using a rest. I did not have my finger on the trigger. When I took the rifle off safety, as I was moving the safety lever forward, the rifle discharged with my thumb still on the safety tearing about an inch long gash on the outside of my thumb. Although I did not get stitches, I just bandaged it up pretty good. This was at least 20 years ago. I only recently heard of this problem after seeing a documentary about a teenage son who went to prison for accidentally killing his brother in this manner. I am extremely careful with this rifle now.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Are Number 1!!!!
                                by jhjimbo
                                Some statisticians say the models used that are from UK have been modified so previous reports are over projected.
                                Also, people fleeing high concentrations...
                                Today, 11:24 AM
                              • We Are Number 1!!!!
                                by rock rat
                                In total infections that is, but not deaths, I think we've a ways to go to get to that number, like when our infected get further into the disease. I...
                                03-26-2020, 05:43 PM
                              • Reply to We Are Number 1!!!!
                                by FirstBubba
                                Has anybody mentioned that the "test kits" from China have proven to give false results 80% of the time?

If China relied on the...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Reply to So called virus
                                by Danbo
                                Of course your going to have a surge there testing more!...
                                Today, 10:34 AM
                              • So called virus
                                by Sarge01
                                Impeachment didn't work so the liberals have to come up with something to make the President look bad, so here came the virus.
                                03-13-2020, 03:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X