Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well would a 30-06 do at ranges from 10-100 yds

How well would a 30-06 do at ranges from 10-100 yds

I've shot deer at ranges from 10-300 yards and never had a problem. The deer pretty much reacted the same at 10 yds as they did at 100 they just fell over. Its all in shot placement.

Comment

The ought-six is good for anything in North america up to and including moose. Your effective range is mainly dependant on the sights and your skill IMO.

Comment

It would do fantastic, but at those ranges get a 30-30 or 35Rem and do better.

Comment

ive shot does at 10 yard, and they fell right over, just like does that ive shot at 200 yards.

Comment

I have no criticisms of the .30-'06 well beyond 100 yards, and I regard it as the standard by which I assess or compare other cartridges, but if you're consistently operating at ranges less than 100 yards, you can rely on other cartridges and Jim in MO has offered two good suggestions. There are many others. If you can reliably and consistently plant your rounds in the vital area of a deer with another cartridge you prefer, you don't appear to need the spectrum of capabilities the .30-'06 provides.

Comment

I shot a deer from my stand at 10 yrds with my 30.06 , 150 grain round, regrettably I hit him in the chest, at that angle I thought I had the sight pointed more in a downward angle minimizing damage to the cavity, but it was higher, the round logged in its chest, however, the kinetic energy pushed some bone through the chest cavity and blew out the rear hindquarter.

If you know you are going to stay within 100 yrds a 30-30 is the round of choice, I love my 30.06 because it'll take down any game animal in North America and I to travel to hunt, also where I hunt a 200 yrds shot is common, yet at shorter distances it can be overkill. In the end it's all a matter of shot placement

Comment

30-06 10-100 yards and your asking?
                I’ve out shot a many 300 Win Mags topped with an extraterrestrial telescope capable to see life on planet Aldereen with open sight M1 Garand on the 1000 yard line. That Sir should answer your question!

A 30 cal Magnum bullet is more apt to have less penetration than a 30-06 due to the higher velocity. If you look at the performance range of bullets, you will see that Mags are outside of the recommended maximum performance range.

As I said before, the best Moose kill and he was a monster of a bull was downed by a teenager with a 30-06 with off the shelf 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt®

Comment

Why are you limiting yourself to 100 yards with a 30-06?

Comment

Ditto what the other folks have said. I have shot thousands of rounds through various '06 rifles I own and all have offered good to exceptional accuracy, great bullet performance and they kill big game dead at all ranges.

I also agree that the 10 to 100 yard zone you are interested in is more the territory of the lever gun in 30/30, 35 Rem or .300 Savage.

Nothing wrong with the 30/06 for woods hunting though. You can choose Remington's reduced recoil ammo and use it with great effect at those ranges. Another option would be to choose a heavier bullet like the Remington 180 Corelokt for close range shots. The bullet won't blow up even at 10 yards and it won't cause near the tissue dammage (less meat loss)of a lighter, faster bullet. Another option is to do what I do for woods range shots with an '06. I load the 165 grain Remington Corelokt or Nosler Accubond to .300 Savage velocity for those bullets, about 2450 fps. The loads are accurate, recoil is low, they kill like lightening and don't waste meat, even up close!

Comment

It would work good because it packs alot of power.

Comment

See the thing is where im hunting i will have shots from 10-300 yards sometime so im just not sure what caliber i want yet.

Comment

IMO, you'll never go wrong with a 30.06. It's been around a LOOONG time, has numerous bullet weights to choose from (I prefer 165 gn Core-Lokt) and can take ANY game in North America. But, if you're consistently shooting 10-40 yards, get a bow. Outside of that, a decent 30/30 or even a Marlin .357 lever action is good to 100 yards (or a shade better).

Comment

Knock'em down every time

Comment

i think the 30-06 is a good 300 yarder just aim up 7 inchesif sited in at 200 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Up to November should be a very interesting time ! The D’s should have a easy time in that any criticism of Harris will result in racism/sexism charges...
                                Today, 03:34 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                That QAnon crap is so far out there. Ridiculous. Unbelievable that so many Americans are buying into it. But hey, why should I be surprised. National...
                                Today, 03:26 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                There may be something to that jimbo. However, I'm constrained to the few powders that shoot with supreme accuracy for a given cartridge, bullet, bore...
                                Today, 02:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X