Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best all around elk hunting rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-06. Period. The bullet is too heavy sometimes, but a 270 is only good enough if you know your gun and your bullets.

Comment

anything you can shoot accuratly in 30 or above.

I like mine in 300 or 338 win mag, with the heavy bullets. 225 barns tsx in 338 and 200 grain ballistic tips in my 300. its bullets that they like and do excellent on the big game.

Comment

For Elk and elk alone, I would choose a synthetic stock bolt action rifle in .338 Win Mag, with a good fixed 4 power scope. Buy good ammo and this setup will work great. If I wanted a cross over deer and elk rifle I would go with something smaller like a 30.06

Comment

I prefer the 30.06 with 180 gr handloads...
          a lot of old-school elk guides swear by the .338 wm and the .35 whelen

Comment

I've never hunted elk but my idea would have to be a .700 ultra mag

Comment

I have shot a lot of elk in my day with calibers from the little .22-250 Remington to the bad ass .338 Remington Ultra Mag. Here are my suggestions on calibers for elk hunting. The .243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, .240 Weatherby Mag, .25-06 Remington, .260 Remington, .270 Winchester, .270 WSM, .280 Remington, 7mm RSAUM, 7mm WSM, 7mm Remington Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, .300 WSM, .300 Winchester, .300 Weatherby, .325 WSM, 8mm Remington, .338 Federal, .338-06 A-Square, and the .338 Winchester Mag. I have been guiding for 47 years and had clients come with .375 Ruger. I had them shoot a 6mm Remington instead because the recoil scared them into flinching. Elk are tough animals but you don't need a big cannon to kill one. I prefer a short action bolt-action rifle. My advice would be shoot the the biggest rifle that you can shoot accurately without recoil being a big pain in the butt. But when it comes down to it, your first shot is the most important and shot placement.

Comment

This is such a broad question and at the end of the day comes down to personal opinion. Yes, there is a range of appropriate rifles and caliber ammunition that works best for elk, but there is no "silver bullet".

www.elk-hunting.org/elk-hunting-equipment/elk-hunting-rifle

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad