Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 30-30 kill an elk?

Will a 30-30 kill an elk?

Yes, but it's not ideal. To do it humanely you'll want to be under 200yds. Not a great range for an elk. Can you do it? That depends on you.

Comment

Absolutely! A 30-30 would not be my personal choice of firearm for a moose hunt however, it will take down an elk.
      It is not a long range gun and I would probably not take a shot at a moose more than about 75-100 max with it. I've never had the opportunity to hunt moose but, from hunting shows I've watched it seems very reasonable to get inside of 50 yds of a moose. The simple answer is YES, A 30-30 will kill a moose.

Comment

Originally posted by mblapeer View Post
        Absolutely! A 30-30 would not be my personal choice of firearm for a moose hunt however, it will take down an elk.
        It is not a long range gun and I would probably not take a shot at a moose more than about 75-100 max with it. I've never had the opportunity to hunt moose but, from hunting shows I've watched it seems very reasonable to get inside of 50 yds of a moose. The simple answer is YES, A 30-30 will kill a moose.
        OOPS, I MEANT AN ELK!
        I DON'T KNOW WHY I HAD MOOSE ON MY MIND, GUESS I'M DREAMING BIG.

Comment

With a well placed shot under 75yds.

Comment

Elk were hunted close to extinction largely by hunters with 30-30s. Canadian and Alaskan natives used to use the 30-30 pretty much exclusively and have fell many moose, caribou, elk, and brown, black and polar bears with it. And that's before the introduction of modern bullets and powders.
            I don't know anything about muzzle loaders, but don't most modern 30-30 loadings produce more energy than most muzzle loaders? People kill elk and bear with those quite often.

In short, yes, a 30-30 will drop elk PROVIDED you use appropriate bullets and let the bullet get to where it can destroy the vitals.
            The two most important things when killing an animal is shot placement and bullet design, in that order. The better shot placement and bullet design you have the more velocity and and bullet weight become moot points.
            So basically, practice, practice, practice and buy quality bullets, then you can pretty much use the rifle you like the best out of your safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
              Yes, but it's not ideal. To do it humanely you'll want to be under 200yds. Not a great range for an elk. Can you do it? That depends on you.
              Y'all must remember the 1894 Win,30~30 Was a Game of all sizes Killing Tool. To this day the 30~30 is still the #1 selling Cartridge in the U.S. Main & Alaska are the #1 buyers of 30~30 Ammo.

Comment

Simply put, yes.
                Like any hunting endeavor, just keep in mind that all cartridges aren't meant for elephant, one thousand yard shots or small game!
                Within it's "operating range", the .30-30 Win is quite capable of taking any game in north America.

Comment

It WILL kill an elk, but why use that when there are so many better options available? If getting a new rifle in a more effective caliber means a quick and humane death, and also reduces your risk of having to track a wounded animal, you should do it. If money is an issue, go check out the Ruger American rifle, A very accurate gun at an awesome price. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Breckenridge View Post
                    It WILL kill an elk, but why use that when there are so many better options available? If getting a new rifle in a more effective caliber means a quick and humane death, and also reduces your risk of having to track a wounded animal, you should do it. If money is an issue, go check out the Ruger American rifle, A very accurate gun at an awesome price. Good luck!
                    He might not be buying a new rifle; he might have a 30-30 already and is now hoping NOT to have to buy a new rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Breckenridge View Post
                      I understand that, If you reread my answer you'll see I am saying that it might be better to use something more effective than a 30-30 to kill an elk. I've never met an honest man yet who wouldn't want a good excuse to get another rifle.

Comment

A .30-30 will kill anything. Range and bullet placement. Range and bullet placement.

Comment

Logan, I have a little story for you that was passed on from my maternal side of the family.

In the late 1960's, my mother's father had a fatal heart attack that left her family in dire need. As with all lost loved ones, some of the repercussions result in the selling of property and more than one person working at the stride of the one lost.

Well my mother's cousin, Dave, ended up taking over the responsibilities that a man should do in a house full of girls. He mowed the lawns, fixed up the house, did all the nasty and back-breaking work that a man has to do to maintain his home. After a few years, in reward for his services, my grandmother gave Dave 4 of my grandfather's guns (2 of which were later given to me). One of these guns was a Winchester '94 in .30-30.

Dave was very pleased, as he was as avid an outdoorsman as my grandfather. He intended to put the guns to good use. A few years after receiving the guns, Dave got invited to go out West with some friends for an Elk hunt. When he arrived at camp, he was the only one with a .30-30, let alone one without a scope. He was joked at and at first thought that he wasn't going to be as successful as his cohorts. The trip lasted 6 days. On the 4th day, Dave shot the first and only bull elk of that hunt.

3 years ago, Dave felt that I should have the guns that were my grandfather's since it's in my blood. So when he handed the rifle to me and told me this story, I felt utterly intrigued and respect for that caliber.

With the right shot placement and a suitable grain size, the .30-30 can do just about anything.

Comment

they use a 30-30 to hunt moose in Canada it works for them so why not

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad