Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which .308 Rifle to BuyLooking to buy a new .308 rifle. I have narrowed my search to 4 and all fall within $50 of one another.Remington 783Mossberg PatriotRemington 700 ADLRuger AmericanAny comments that might help me in my decision will be g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which .308 Rifle to BuyLooking to buy a new .308 rifle. I have narrowed my search to 4 and all fall within $50 of one another.Remington 783Mossberg PatriotRemington 700 ADLRuger AmericanAny comments that might help me in my decision will be g

Which .308 Rifle to Buy Looking to buy a new .308 rifle. I have narrowed my search to 4 and all fall within $50 of one another. Remington 783 Mossberg Patriot Remington 700 ADL Ruger American Any comments that might help me in my decision will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Probably the Ruger American will be your best bet, but I have heard good things about the Mossberg Patriot as well.

Comment

I vote for the Ruger American also, You get much more Bang for your Buck.

Comment

Remington 700ADL would serve you well. The Remington 700 action is probably the better of all the others you mentioned.

Comment

Ruger American is my next rifle for my backup to my deer rifle seem to get a Big Bang for your buck.

Comment

All about the same, wonder why savage axis not on your list as they seem to be quite popular?

Comment

I would shoulder and work the actions and get the one that you like the fit and feel of best. That is the one you will shoot best. My pick would be the Ruger American or 700 ADL.

Comment

I own three Ruger Americans and am very pleased with all of them. Obviously. My favorite is the Compact model in 7mm-08---easy recoil and handy in the ladder stand or box blind. Light to carry, and very, very accurate with my handloads.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                  I own three Ruger Americans and am very pleased with all of them. Obviously. My favorite is the Compact model in 7mm-08---easy recoil and handy in the ladder stand or box blind. Light to carry, and very, very accurate with my handloads.
                  Now that boyds makes stocks I have been looking at that exact same rifle. What scope did you go with?

Comment

Of that list probably the Ruger. Remington seems to be pretty shoddy in recent years, and the Mossberg, eh, it's a Mossberg; they make a decent budget shotgun but rifles I'll leave to someone else.
                    I don't but want to be annoying by suggesting things off the list but if you happened to run into a used FN Winchester 70 in your price range nd calibre that's what I would want. I won't delve into controlled vs push feed argument but the Winchester does have a couple of things which most sane people won't ever count as a disadvantageous like an integral recoil lug and flat bottom receiver; plus it has the MOA trigger, which is fantastic, and, unlike the 700, a 3-position safety.

Comment

I love my Tikka T3, but if you want to go with one of those, I would go with the Remington 700.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. Ended up buying a SS Savage 16 with a 3x9x50 Nikon scope from a guy a church last night. Probably paid a bit much for the rig but I'm satisfied and the rifle feels good to me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad