Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a difference does 150 gr. vs. 180 gr. make in .308?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the answers guys I think il try the 165 grain and see what my 100 yard shot clusters look like then then when I do il let you guys know what happened good or bad

Comment

Originally posted by Truck518 View Post
      Thanks for the answers guys I think il try the 165 grain and see what my 100 yard shot clusters look like then then when I do il let you guys know what happened good or bad
      I just loading up some test loads for my .308 with 165 grain Hornady SST's and 165 grain Hornady Interlocks. I may get to the range in the morning to try them. As I said all of my shots are around 100 yards so I sight my rifles in dead on at 100 yards. I may have tried some 165's in years gone by but I don't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
        WAM, succinctly well answered
        Tip of the hat to you, Happy! Glad to hear you are going back to Africa again. Best, Steve

Comment

Always good to hear from you WAM. Yes one last time to one of my favorite African haunts, or at least I hope. First I must manage two weeks in Borneo with wife, daughter, her husband, and my grandson. Rest up for a month until mid September than trail a few Cape buffalo. Oh. Also at the tail end of Borneo, a few days in Cambodia.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            Always good to hear from you WAM. Yes one last time to one of my favorite African haunts, or at least I hope. First I must manage two weeks in Borneo with wife, daughter, her husband, and my grandson. Rest up for a month until mid September than trail a few Cape buffalo. Oh. Also at the tail end of Borneo, a few days in Cambodia.
            Bird watching? Are you headed to Angkor Wat? I didn’t experience much culture in my very brief excursion to Cambodia during the Great SE Asia Unpleasantness 48 years ago. Safe travels, S.

Comment

I’ve experimented with my 308 reloads more than any other round and these are just my personal experiences. I have 2 rifles chambered in 308 currently. One has a 1:10 twist and the other is 1:12. Neither will shoot 180s well. Both shoot 150s the best. This will not be true for every rifle chambered in 308, just happens to be the case for mine.

The difference in recoil oil between the 150s, 165s and 180s in that round has been negligible IMO. The 180s do drop more, at 300 yards it seems to be a 3-4” difference between the 150s and 180s. If you’re shooting for Maximum Point Blank Range or using “Kentucky Windage” the extra drop could be an issue. If you’re using turrets on your scope or have a BDC reticle, it’s not as much of a concern.

The 165s seem to me like the best all-around weight, but I don’t shoot them in my 308s anymore. I’d rather have the slight advantage in accuracy. I firmly believe that a good 150gr bullet in the right spot will do everything a 165gr can do. If you plan to use copper bullets, it’s a good idea to go down in bullet weight because they are longer (meaning less capacity for powder) and preform best at higher velocities. My favorite load right now for my Model 7 is a 150gr Barnes TTSX moving around 2980fps. I don’t think you’ll see much- if any- real world performance difference between a premium 150gr bullet and a 180gr bullet on game.
              Last edited by Outlaw; 06-01-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

I shoot 165 Nosler Accubonds in my 300WSM because it seems to the weight it wants and they are great on deer. In my .308 I shoot anything from 125 Grain Nosler Accubonds to 150 grain Hornady Interbonds to 165 grain Hornady SST's or Hornady 165 grain Interlocks to 165 Nosler Acubonds. Most of my deer are killed within 100 yards. The most devastating load that I have shot in my .308 deer hunting is the 125 Grain Nosler Accubond. It is a compressed load and according to the Hornady Baslistic calculator they are traveling approx 3300 FPS. The last deer I shot with them the bullet traveled through both shoulders and was inside the hide on the off side. It more than doubled in diameter and weighed 80 Grains and was a perfect mushroom. The deer acted like lightening struck it and like I always say it ran like hell for a half of step straight down. My buddy wanted me to try 85 grain Barnes bullets in my 25-06 ( which I only owned for 3 weeks) and the deer was hit it the same place through both shoulders and it didn't even act like it was hit. I found the deer over 125 yards away. Nosler just started making the .30 caliber 125 grain Accubonds and from all my hunting I like the Accubond better than any other bullet that I have tried.
                I just received my box of 150 grain Nosler Accubonds. I have 4 loads ready for the range tomorrow. It shot 150 grain Hornady Interlocks pretty good last trip to the range but I am a huge Nosler Accubond fan so I am ready to go try them tomorrow.

Comment

Just back from the range with the .308 and some loads with the 150 Nosler Accubonds. I remembered from my 45 years of loading .308, go to WW 748 if you want a load to shoot. My best loads are with WW 748

Comment

And with the heavier bullets gobbling case capacity............I'd think the .308 win a good cartridge up to 165's.

Want heavier? Get a .30-06

Petzal had a write up about 200's in the '06.

Personally, I got mine to shoot 150-180's.

Comment

Checking sight in and group. SKS and Yugo SKS and Ruger Mini-30 with civilian ammo. Both SKS Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	709223 with military ammo at 50yds. A historic military rifle match is coming up at the Club and I may shoot in it.

Comment

I am new here,been hunting all my life but I agree with jhjimbo , that 165 grain in 308 will shoot better in my Professional Opinion,due to the twist seems to handle it better!! I came back to edit because I meant to say the 165 is also great for deer and bear!! Killed lots of deer with it!! And Bear should be an excellent bullet!!

Comment

I've never had a problem dropping deer and pigs while using 150 grain bullets in my .308 with 1:10 twist. In almost 3 decades, all shots have passed through and I've never been able to recover a bullet. A couple of times I've had a doubles, dropping two pigs with one bullet.

The original Barnes X-bullet was excellent in performance but tended to copper foul my barrel. So, I switched to Remington factory loaded Cor-Lokts, also with good results. I have some 150 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and some 150 grain Hornady SP's that I want to try to get a little more accuracy out of that old Remington 788.

I say just pick the bullet weight that's most accurate in your rifle and hunt with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Gene Pate View Post
                            I am new here,been hunting all my life but I agree with jhjimbo , that 165 grain in 308 will shoot better in my Professional Opinion,due to the twist seems to handle it better!! I came back to edit because I meant to say the 165 is also great for deer and bear!! Killed lots of deer with it!! And Bear should be an excellent bullet!!
                            Larry, welcome to the site! I look forward to seeing more of your posts and hearing aboutyour hunting experiences.

Comment

I had the 22-250 back to the range yesterday. I loaded some 55 grain Nosler Balistic Tips with IMR 3031 powder my old Lyman book called for. 1/2 inch group with them. The 50 grain Hornady V-Max with IMR 4064 shoots about the same. I didn't have very good luck with Barnes bullets. Shot 2 deer with them,one through both shoulders, no blood trail, started making circles in the laurel and found the deer about 125 yards away. That was with a 25-06 that I owned for about 3 weeks. I never have that problem when using Nosler Accubond bullets. The 150 grain Accubonds shoot excellent in my .308 and the 165 grain Accubonds shoot excellent in my 300WSM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                by MattM37
                                Guess who will turn 75 on August 9th? Smokey the Bear!

What should we get him?...
                                Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                by 99explorer
                                How about a nice big flood?
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Reply to Tipping Chart
                                by Happy Myles
                                99 in Southern California that is no joke, especially in swanky restaurants were they feel they might be discovered. You can spot them as soon as you...
                                Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                              • Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by 99explorer
                                The Iraniacs seem to feel that we owe them one since 1988, when a U.S. Navy missile cruiser accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner flying in Iranian...
                                Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X