• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone heard of a 17. rifle?

has anyone heard of a 17. rifle?

Did you mean the .17 cal ?

Comment

Yeh although there are several different kinds.

Comment

yea they are cool little rifles i have a savage 17 cal its awsome

Comment

yeah never saw or shot on though i hear its somehow good for squerrels and cyotes

Comment

um.... yes. they are very common now. I dont personally own one but my cousins slays the squirrels and 'yotes with his.

Comment

There are several 17 caliber rounds. The smallest bore I ever saw though was a 14 cal built by Prairie dog shooter Ray Smith (deceased now) of Overland Park, KS. Ray was a retired engineer and WWII UDT diver for the Navy.It was a tiny bore indeed. Shilen made the barrel and Ray had Corbin bullet making equipment to make his own jacketed bullets. He gave me one but it was so small I lost it. Next thing I knew he had passed. Don't know what his wife did with his guns. Ray said the hardest part of the whole deal was coming up with a cleaning rod that would fit.

Comment

there are many 17 cal rifles out there from the 17hmr to the 17 Remington and lots and lots of wild cats

Comment

The rimfire 17 HMR is a pretty popular round up here in the northeast. Low noise and very accurate. Most of the land up here is heavily forested and most shots are quite close so very long range shooting is not the norm. Quite a few guys use this round on woodchucks. Not to get away from the question but I've often thought that if I had the chance to hunt in the west with the open space I would have a hard time with the ranges. The longest shot that I've ever taken on deer is just under 100 yards.

Comment

Lets see the 17HMR, 17Mach2, 17Rem, 17 Rem Fireball and as cooner said a whole hoard of wildcats.

Comment

ive got a 17mach2 and let me tell u it is a hott little gun
                      ive killed squirrels with it out to about a 100 yrds
                      and shot a red fox squirrel huntin one monin about dayligh at from about 150yrds he was in a big open field
                      it dropped him dead
                      its a deadly gun
                      u dont een have to hit the squirrels in the head to kill em stne dead but i still try i like to make humane kills so nuthin suffers

Comment

I had a T/C Contender in .17 Remington. It was a flat shooter. At the time, reloading manuals indicated it was the fastest factory-loaded cartridge in production. Very accurate.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad