Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Remington? 783 in particular.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Remington? 783 in particular.

Opinions on Remington? 783 in particular.

Remington advertises 3/4" five shot groups. All for a very reasonable price.
    See my Remington 700 photos on the front page. This gun is about 40 years old and has probably shot over 6,000 rounds.
    Can't keep a Remington down.

Comment

Love old Remington stuff, if I could only have 1 gun it would be my 870. No personal experience with the 783 but I think Petzal did a review on them, if not him somebody at F&S did. Try searching up the article

Comment

Me thinks better value to be found elsewhere.

However, I like OLD remington rifles, and I have heard the wave of backlash against Big Green in modern times, has caused some quality control shifts that are turning the tide back in favor of this giant of industry. I will wait and see.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2013/12/petzal-remington-model-783-bolt-action-rifle

Comment

The reviews I've seen on the 783 have generally been very positive -- good accuracy and a solid gun for the money. Fit and finish aren't going to be as nice as on a more expensive gun, but for the price it looks pretty good. Most of the major brands now have comparable rifles in that $400 price range -- Ruger, Winchester, Browning, Marlin, etc., so it's probably worth checking several out.

Comment

Caveat: I have no experience with the 783. That said... It's a budget bolt gun. The reviews for all of these guns seem to say that they shoot fine, or even fantastic. But fit and finish isn't there. I think it will serve you well for a long time, which is a blessing and maybe also a curse. It'll be ugly, with a barrel nut and a plastic trigger guard, forever. And you'll have no solid reason to replace it, because it will work just fine!
            Picture what your gun collection should look like many years down the road, and try to build towards that intelligently, keeping mind that your tastes may become a little finer over time. And you can always get a new stock or barrel for a Remington 700... the jury is out on the longer term aftermarket support should you wish to "dress up" a budget bolt gun in the future.
            One more caveat... I followed my own advice above and ponied up for the expensive stainless fluted rem model 700 I thought would be a joy forever... And the fit and finish kinda sucks on it, too. So take all my advice with a grain of salt. And maybe just pick one of the nicer ones out of the rack!
            Good luck!

Comment

I've owned a 783 for a little over a year and I couldn't be happier. I didn't buy it as an heirloom only as a hunting rifle. I plan on using a mossy oak wrap to pretty it up but it shoots fine as is.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Remington advertises 3/4" five shot groups. All for a very reasonable price.
                See my Remington 700 photos on the front page. This gun is about 40 years old and has probably shot over 6,000 rounds.
                Can't keep a Remington down.
                jimbo..And when the lights go out it's Not a Winchester, just saying

Comment

Remington and Marlin are owned by the same parent company and enough faith in being put into the 783 to discontinue the Marlin X7 rifles. Apparently, producing one budget rifle is enough for them. I had an X7 and it made tiny shot groups at 200 yards w/o changes to the stock or trigger. If the 783 is going to be getting all of Rem's attention in this area, then it ought to be a decent, low-cost rifle able to compete with the likes of others in the same price range.
                  One of my sons has a Ruger American in 308 Win. It is a lot like what the 783 looks like. His Ruger is minute of deer accurate for him and that's all a hunting rifle needs to be. Looks never filled a tag or put meat in a freezer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad