Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A word of caution. Last weekend at the rifle range, the fellow next to me had strapped a 460 Weatherby solidly into a gun vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A word of caution. Last weekend at the rifle range, the fellow next to me had strapped a 460 Weatherby solidly into a gun vic

A word of caution. Last weekend at the rifle range, the fellow next to me had strapped a 460 Weatherby solidly into a gun vice, fore and aft. After a few rounds he exclaimed his cross hairs had disappeared. Sure enough, his reticle had crashed, and on closer inspection his stock was split behind the tang. Apparently too much recoil and not enough give. He claimed it was a new rifle. His ammo was factory.

Ouch, I guess you got to be careful with weapons that big. I have never shot one and only can imagine how my shoulder would feel.

Comment

Expensive mistake. So, knowing you are a gentleman of class, did you say anything to him?

That scenario is what also always made me wary of fully loaded lead sleds. Figured they should at least be on ball bearing rollers to give some. I just use a Past and raise the rest as high as possible on hardkicking rounds of the bench.

Comment

nice point at the end there mlh. i always thought the same thing. when you have a lead sled weighted down so much, when that gun fires, it's not going to move. so is the recoil pad going to collect all the recoil? with that large and mule kicking type of caliber, no. the recoil pad isn't going to take all the recoil. obviously somethings gotta give. that's why i too think a sled should have some kind of give in them. some might. i dont know. obviously the scope must of taken quite a bit of shock. the recoil pad wasn't effective enough, causing the stock to crack. weatherby's mistake? maybe, it could be that the stock wasn't properly made. could be that it made it through the production line broken somewhere internally and they missed it.. scope manufacturers mistake? i think not. the scope probably took so much pressure that it gave out.. i'm not sure how this problem could of been prevented. maybe less weight on the vise? i don't know.

Comment

Happy is a 460 going to give you more of a edge than a 375 in a nasty spot? Just wondering trying to talk the wife in letting me get a 470.

Comment

Happy Myles,

What brand of scope was that that failed? Surely it wasn't a cheapo on a gun like that.

Comment

Happy,
              I believe this is the same reason the big fellas feel more recoil than normal size guys. If you can give with the shot you don't feel it as much as the guys standing there letting their body absorb it all. No scope was meant to take all the recoil regardless of brand.

Comment

Stocks just break when they are strapped to .460 Wby. class cartridges, sled or not. Even the finest, most perfectly grained stocks will go down under that kind of pressure.

If the guy needs so much sled to control this cartridge, why does he have the rifle in the first place? Are you going to put the sled on a turret when a big stinky pissed of bovine monster is on the loose?

Comment

John Barsness has a good article on scopes in the latest issue of Guns and ammo. It was an eye opener for me.

Comment

Jim in Mo, I think you are right on about us big boys and recoil. The more mass you have, the more of a lick you are going to take. It's Newton's law of inertia. I'm 6 foot, 225 pounds, and it takes a lot of force to get me moving backward. I feel every bit of that force in my shoulder. I try to ease up on the muscle tension when firing a .375 or .458 to take some of the sting out of it. I also find that being as near vertical as possible helps. Hunching over a bench that is too low is punishing even with my .270.

Comment

Welcome to the world of magnums SIR!

Had a Weaver do the same on my 338 Win Mag, that’s why I only use Leupold!

Comment

John Barsness wrote that he tests scopes by mounting them on a light .338 Win. He said some of the high dollar scopes have failed and some of the cheapos have passed the recoil test. The fine scopes all have very good glass the cheapos have poor quality glass. Of course the glass isn't what fails. Also said smaller scopes handle recoil best. And fixed power scopes generally handle recoil better than variables. Clay, myself and many others here already knew that. He did not name any of the scopes he has tested. I'm with Clay. Nothing but Leupold VX III's for me.

Comment

I think you guys are right about recoil I am 6ft 3 and weigh 250. Recoild whacks me pretty hard.

Comment

I can understand the stock breaking with a solid vice... they should hold but locking it in a vice puts VERY high pressure on the stock and break is not unusual for such a hefty cartrige. I don't understand the scope being affected the same way though. A cartrige this big will REALLY shake a scope. I suspect that the scope reticle was of poor quality and would have gone with or without the vice. These babies are a good test of your scope rings too.

Comment

For Armchair...

There's another side to that. I'm 5'10", and weigh 130 pounds. Standing position with my .30-06 involves my back foot a bit farther back, while just a smidge of forward lean. I've only fired one "heavy", and that was from prone.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have heard certain powder kernel shapes are more abrasive than others on the rifling. Maybe that kind should be used to keep the carbon from forming....
                                Today, 02:24 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember...
                                Today, 02:22 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                                Today, 02:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X