Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the smallest caliber bullet you have ever seen? I'm talking for real not a joke. An old pasture poodle hunter named Ray Smith built a .14 cal wildcat. Shilen provided the barrel and he made his own bullets with Corbin equipment. The pare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the smallest caliber bullet you have ever seen? I'm talking for real not a joke. An old pasture poodle hunter named Ray Smith built a .14 cal wildcat. Shilen provided the barrel and he made his own bullets with Corbin equipment. The pare

What is the smallest caliber bullet you have ever seen? I'm talking for real not a joke. An old pasture poodle hunter named Ray Smith built a .14 cal wildcat. Shilen provided the barrel and he made his own bullets with Corbin equipment. The parent case may have been .17 Remington but I'm not sure on that. Ray died before I had a chance to ask him about ballistics on his new rifle. He did give me one of the tiny jacketed hp bullets which I lost. The thing was tiny, about the diameter of a #2 pencil lead.

Can't say that I've ever seen one under .17.

Comment

Cartridges of the World shows a few 14's. A guy named Eichelberger did some work in that range by necking down the .22lr, the .218 bee, .25acp and .30carbine. There is also mention of some in the .12 and .10 diameter. A .12Cooper(CCM) launches a 10gr .12 bullet at 3800fps.
      The .10 Eichelberger Squirrel made from .22Hornet brass, uses a 7.2gr bullet and 6.5gr of W748 for a velocity of 4000fps. This is the smallest caliber known, .103"diameter.

Comment

A friend of mine had a 17/Bee and my 17/Hornet(1972-3) The 17/Bee was a bit hotter then my 17/Hornet but we both had the same problem, after 10 to 12 rounds We had to wet swab the barrels with Hop#9 and Dry patch them to go on Chuck hunting, Not like to days New Clean burning Powder, and Hornady Now has 17/Hornet Good Stuff!!
        And We used Brass Brazing rods as Cleaning Rods...their were No.17Cal/Cleaning rods....

Comment

Seen?
          That would be the .17 caliber Remington.
          As for "heard" of, that would be the diminutive one caliber mentioned elsewhere.
          As I understand it, with the advent of the "cartridge", many different calibers were experimented with.
          Per the article I read, the .10 caliber was supposedly superb for enraged bull mice! LOL!

Comment

Via lots of internet time I remember seeing a guy blow off the tip of his finger or thumb with a mini-pistol and was told it was the world's smallest production handgun by an austrian watch maker.

Pretty sure this was it, but I know there are some tiny pepperboxes and revolvers out there as well:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_mm_Kolibri

Edit: Smallest Revolver (supposedly) @2.34mm rifmifire, Kolibri is centerfire
            http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-smallest-revolver-swissminigun/23582/

Comment

A number 2 pencil lead refers to the hardness of the graphite, not the diameter. The common diameter of the "lead" in a wooden pencil is 2mm or .078 inch. A .08 caliber? Pretty tough putting rifling in that puppy with common barrel making tooling! LOL

Comment

I know a guy who made a .14 caliber rifle. It drops coyotes on the spot, but on a windy day the little 20 grain bullets are blown all over creation. He uses necked down 204 Ruger cases that he anneals and trims. I don't know how he makes the bullets for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                  The 12 Caliber Squirrel is the smallest gun I currently have.

We carry a full line of 14 Caliber equipment including bullets, brass, barrels, cleaning rods, jags, brushes and reamers on our website for the 14 Calibers at (14Caliber.com).
                  (The most common 14 caliber cartridges these days are the 14/221 Fireball, the 14 Ackley Hornet, the 14 Eichelberger Hornet, the 14 Hornet Extreme, the 14 Jet Jr. and a few 14 caliber Squirrels and 14 Fleas.)

I know Frank Brakefield who goes by the handle of The Old Redneck has 10 Caliber experience and was the driving force to me acquiring the 12 caliber. He is a HUGE wealth of information on the very small caliber rifles and is a very helpful guy.

The very small caliber rifles are a hoot to shoot but require very strict reloading practices and they can be finicky to fine tune. Watching everything happen in the scope with nearly zero recoil is an experience you never forget though.

Carl C.
                  Extreme Accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post

We carry a full line of 14 Caliber equipment including bullets, brass, barrels, cleaning rods, jags, brushes and reamers on our website for the 14 Calibers at (14Caliber.com).
                    (The most common 14 caliber cartridges these days are the 14/221 Fireball, the 14 Ackley Hornet, the 14 Eichelberger Hornet, the 14 Hornet Extreme, the 14 Jet Jr. and a few 14 caliber Squirrels and 14 Fleas.)

I know Frank Brakefield who goes by the handle of The Old Redneck has 10 Caliber experience and was the driving force to me acquiring the 12 caliber. He is a HUGE wealth of information on the very small caliber rifles and is a very helpful guy.

The very small caliber rifles are a hoot to shoot but require very strict reloading practices and they can be finicky to fine tune. Watching everything happen in the scope with nearly zero recoil is an experience you never forget though.

Carl C.
                    Extreme Accuracy

Comment

Carl C.
                      Extreme Accuracy

Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad