Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad is dry firing for a bolt action rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is dry firing for a bolt action rifle?

How bad is dry firing for a bolt action rifle?

Centerfire or rimfire? I think the general rule is that it's not bad at all for a centerfire, but bad for a rimfire. There may be notable exceptions to that rule, but I think it's reasonably accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
      Centerfire or rimfire? I think the general rule is that it's not bad at all for a centerfire, but bad for a rimfire. There may be notable exceptions to that rule, but I think it's reasonably accurate.
      As I've heard it, the action is not bad for centerfire's. Still, I won't do it. Had too many things break in my life on the words of others, so I KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
        I can relate to that, but dry firing is such good practice!

Comment

Even if it is a rimfire, it can be dry fired without damage if you insert a snap cap or spent casing in the chamber.

Comment

If it is center fire, take a spent cartridge brass and punch out the primer. Shape a pencil eraser to fit the hole. Trim to even to base of cartridge. They work for a good number of cycles. If you have some kind of regular rubber that is even better.
            I would not dry fire a rimfire.

Comment

I've done it hundreds of times to a Savage center fire rifle. It doesn't harm most common center fire rifles, but it does harm rimfires because the firing pin hits the barrel, whereas a center fire rifle's firing pin doesn't hit anything.

Comment

I've witnessed several snapped firing pins caused by dry fire. It's like taking two hammers and striking them together.

Question is, is it really worth it?!

But what do I know?

SNICKER!

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Clay Cooper View Post
                  I've witnessed several snapped firing pins caused by dry fire. It's like taking two hammers and striking them together.

But what do I know?

SNICKER!
                  Your looking good Coop!....Lol

Comment

But what do I know?

SNICKER!
                    Clay, Prettiest gun range I ever seen. Thanks for sharing it. What state? Plus one.

Comment

Dry firing a center fire is fine. My theory is that on the rare chance (perhaps 1 in 500,000 or less) that it would break, I would just replace it. A new firing pin costs about the same as a snap cap and they are easy to replace yourself. I've dry fired so many center fire rifles over the last 50 years I couldn't possibly imagine how many snaps that has been. Just a word of caution: if you are stalking a lion, that is not the time to dry fire... wait until you get somewhere that you have access to firing pins.

Comment

I took my older Savage 110 to a very reputable gunsmith about 15 years back to have some minor work done. The first thing he did upon handling my rifle was dry-fire it. "Nice trigger" he said. I was a bit surprised. My brother was with me and we laugh about it to this day. I do it rarely.

Comment

But what do I know?

SNICKER!
                          Alaska?

Comment

I do know that all Rugers are safe to dry fire.

Comment

Many moons ago my dad gave me a Marlin 336 30/30. Unfortunately the firing pin broke one day while I was dry firing for practice. He got it fixed good as new for me but it was a good lesson. To this day I might dry fire a rifle from time to time but mostly avoid it. Incidentally, the user manuals for both the CZ-512 and CZ-455 instruct you to dry fire the rifles after unloading.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad