Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have a marlin 30-06 bolt action. i need a scope for it. what would be the best scope for this gun? the area i hunt is swampy m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have a marlin 30-06 bolt action. i need a scope for it. what would be the best scope for this gun? the area i hunt is swampy m

i have a marlin 30-06 bolt action. i need a scope for it. what would be the best scope for this gun? the area i hunt is swampy marshy. also it has alot of trees and berms and brush. Does that help any on the scope type?

I would get a scope with wider field of view and a scope with quality glass for better low light conditions. I would look at Luepold, Burris and Nikon. You won't need a scope that has a lot of zoom because it sounds like you won't be shooting over 100 yards.

Comment

I always go leuplod. A little more expensive, but well worth it. I'd go 1.5 to 8 or so. Or fixed 1.5, but I would go for some zooming capability just in case you were to get in the open.

Comment

leopold is correct spelling sorry

Comment

Actually it's Leupold. I like Nikons.

Comment

I'd buy a Leupold. Never had any problems with mine. get a 2-7x or a 2.5-8. Perfect on a deer rifle out to 300 yds or so.

Comment

bushnell's elite 3200 or 4200 are also good quality scopes.

Comment

Sounds like you are only shooting close range and need something that will get on target quickly. As steve182 points out a low power variable might be your best bet. My VX-II in 1-4x20mm is frustrating in low light. If you want a bit brighter scope then look at a 40mm objective, though the 32-36mm are okay. For flexibility, the 2-7x33mm seems a good compromise.

If you are on a tight budget consider Cabelas 2-10x40mm Alpha. If you have an issue with Cabela's products just take them back. Go for the best you can afford. Just be sure to look at them before buying.

Oh, with Leupolds, I'd go with at least a VX-II. The Rifleman and VX-1s are excellent scopes but do not come with click adjustments. Personally, I find friction adjustments irritating.

Comment

I have 2-7x Leupold on my .308 and one of my .257 Roberts rifles. Have been satisfied with both.

You might check out the Sightron SII 3-9x42. That scope is under $200 and I have one on my Ruger 77 and it is brighter than any of my VX-II Leupold scopes that cost more. I would certainly recommend SII over the Leupold Rifleman or VX-I series scopes. Nikons are good, too. Buy the best you can afford (or justify).

If you have a bigger budget, a 2.5-8x Leupold VX-III is a nice scope for all around use.

Comment

Bushnell in a 3-9x, they have a solid lifetime warranty.

Comment

A Leupold VXIII 2X-7X would be just about right. Don't forget to get quality base and rings. Leupold makes those too! The best prices can be found on Ebay.

Comment

Leupold in VXII or III in 2X7 is as good as you will find.

Comment

Leupold VXII or VXIII are excellent and I am certain you would be happy with any of them. I think you will be happy with the 2-7x or the 3-9x for your rifle but if you are on a budget a fixed 4x would also be great for your application. If your budget can't handle these, you might consider used scopes on ebay or gunbroker.com... they come with lifetime warranty and a used one shoots just like a new one. I have acquired a couple that way and can't tell the difference from a new one at about 2/3 of the price.... good luck.

Comment

I've got a VX III 3.5x10 on a .308, and a VX II 4x16 on a .300 Win Mag. Love um' both, but if your shooting short I'd go VX II, III in a 2x7. Depends on what you want to spend.

Comment

go to wal mart and get a cheap tasco scope my naber has had a 25 dallar scope for 30 years and can hit a dime at a hundred yards hes only set the sights one when he got it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad