Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a new .22 Rascal and Simmons 4x32 scope that was mounted by the dealer. I lined up the scope and it was accurate for 5 or 6 shots then started jumping all over the target. I lined it up again at 25 yrds and had same results. 5 or six on target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a new .22 Rascal and Simmons 4x32 scope that was mounted by the dealer. I lined up the scope and it was accurate for 5 or 6 shots then started jumping all over the target. I lined it up again at 25 yrds and had same results. 5 or six on target

Have a new .22 Rascal and Simmons 4x32 scope that was mounted by the dealer. I lined up the scope and it was accurate for 5 or 6 shots then started jumping all over the target. I lined it up again at 25 yrds and had same results. 5 or six on target then all over. Scope mounts and rings are tight. Any ideas on whats going on? Have been using CCI .22 LR 36 grain ammo.... Thanks

your crosshairs could be loose and flopping around at each shot.

Comment

Try shooting from a sand bag at about 30yds with the iron sight only and see if the POI changes. Another test would be if you have another low power scope to put on it as a test. It is just a process of elimination to find out what is going on. It is a sweet rifle, although the stock is not really high enough for the scope. IMO

Comment

JMO~ Change out the Scope with an other Brand. then sand bag test at 30yd, My best guess is the Crosshairs not taking Hold(is it a Used or New Simmons Scope) If New Take it Back!!

Comment

Good advice from jhjimbo. Doing all your testing from a solid sand bag is a must so you can be certain of the diagnosis. If the scope rings are tight it is most likely to be one of four things in order of probability:
          1. Scope - shoot with iron sights or a known good scope. Cheap Simmons are not the best in the world and it wouldn't surprise me.
          2. Ammo - CCI should be good but you can try other good ammo to see if it does the same. I can't help you there because I haven't been shooting a lot of .22LR recently and CCI is usually good.
          3. You - The sand bag will help. Make sure of perfect cheek weld because that scope probably has a ton of parallax. Your eye needs to be centered in the view at exactly the same distance every shot. If your eye is 1/16 off center, it might look like the cross hairs are on the target even though you are aiming an inch away. If this is the case, it is really a scope problem and you need to consider a better scope.
          4. Rifle - unlikely; especially with this brand of rifle. If something were really bad with the rifle, you would get consistent scattering of shots. You may have to give the barrel a good cleaning to remove factory lubricants or something though.

If the rings are tight, my guess would be the scope. There is a high probability that the lenses are moving or that it has so much parallax that your eye movement behind the rear lens is wrecking your aim.
          Best of luck with what should be a very accurate rifle. Please let us know what you find.

Comment

Most probable cause.
            Low quality scope.
            When mfg's put together "package" deals, it isn't always in the buyers best interest.
            They're probably trying to dump a butt-load of low budget scopes.
            Unfortunately for many, this is the time of year alot of companies are dumping overstocks and bad deals to cleanout warehouses and cut their losses. It also gives them money to restock shelves with next year's newest craze,....which won't sell worth a hoot and will be dumped as second-rate package deals next Christmas!
            I avoid "packages" like the plague. Buy, if not the best, at least quality. You'll be happier in the long run!
            "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"
            NOTE: You'll never see Swarovski, Zeiss or Leupold in "package" deals unless you're dealing with some really high dollar arms!
            Basically, what I'm saying is; I don't think there is a problem with you, your ammo or your rifle!
            "The simplest explanation is usually the right one." - Occam's Razor

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Most probable cause.
              Low quality scope.
              When mfg's put together "package" deals, it isn't always in the buyers best interest.
              Unfortunately for many, this is the time of year alot of companies are dumping overstocks and bad deals to cleanout warehouses and cut their losses. It also gives them money to restock shelves with next year's newest craze,....which won't sell worth a hoot and will be dumped as second-rate package deals next Christmas!
              I avoid "packages" like the plague. Buy, if not the best, at least quality. You'll be happier in the long run!
              NOTE: You'll never see Swarovski, Zeiss or Leupold in "package" deals unless you're dealing with some really high dollar arms!
              Basically, what I'm saying is; I don't think there is a problem with you, your ammo or your rifle!
              It's "all things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one." Occam's Razor is a process Bubba. Don't mean to harp on this, but I have to kick Sawbones's arses frequently cause they quote it at me like they think they're House. Then get all butt hurt when I show them I know their process better than they do.

Anyway:
              Deductive Logic: The Package is the rifle, the scope, and the ammo (given). The rifle is good(via Savage quality control), the ammo is good(via CCI quality control), most packaged scopes are Bad(documented experience trend). The packaged scope is most likely bad.

Or using Occum's process: The gun is hitting all over after 5 shots. If the problem of "flyers" is equally likely to be the quality of any individual piece, then the item in control of aiming the system is responsible for the flyers. ie the scope is coming off after 5 shots. However, should it be proven that scope is not to blame either by substituting a different scope or substituting a different rifle using the same ammo, the next most likely item would be the barrel overheating.

Sorry bubba, it's been a long day

Comment

Most probable cause.
                Low quality scope.
                Buckshott
                I didn't get it from House. I picked it up elsewhere. Since I don't watch House, you've basically wasted your rant on me! LOL!
                If you feel better, you're welcome! Ship me a nickel when you can! LOL!
                From years of experience, it's nearly always the scope.
                Way too many people want a particular rifle. They make the purchase, then short on money, buy a bargain basement scope!
                THEN...they wonder why they can't hit anything with their new rifle!

Comment

Most probable cause.
                  Low quality scope.
                  LOL bubba I was bitching about doctors not about the principle which is sound. You're spot on with the scope on package guns usually being crap.

Comment

After checking your bases and rings, remove the Simmons scope and go out behind the woodshed with all your other Simmons, Bushnell Banner, and Tasco scopes and smack each one with a 3/4 swing with your 8 pound maul. Remount the survivor, if there is one. If not, go buy a Nikon or Burris rimfire scope and check your mounts and stock bedding/screws.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to SCOTUS in action!
                      by jhjimbo
                      Why are women so adamant about abortions when there are other means, like pills?
                      Does anybody know?
                      Today, 07:52 AM
                    • SCOTUS in action!
                      by FirstBubba
                      SCOTUS has overturned Roe vs Wade and Casey vs Planned Parenthood.

Hot time in DC tonight.
                      The (d)'s just thought 1/6 was a big deal!...
                      06-24-2022, 11:13 AM
                      by jhjimbo
                      Don't capitalize law, because it was never based on solid legal ground. Justices said that 50 years ago but the Court looked the other way. Maybe a regulation...
                      Today, 07:48 AM
                      by Pmacc60
                      Trouble here 99 is that it isn’t protected by the constitution with this courts decision ! However I feel about it or you for that matter , abortion...
                      Today, 06:43 AM
                    • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                      by Pmacc60
                      I so agree and want to add that these politicians have no idea of what it took to form this republic ! They have no understanding of the trust we must...
                      Today, 05:53 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X