Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay, Beekeeper,Del or anybody how does a 8 1/2 Win mag primer compare to a Fed 215 or Rem 9 1/2 primer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay, Beekeeper,Del or anybody how does a 8 1/2 Win mag primer compare to a Fed 215 or Rem 9 1/2 primer?

Clay, Beekeeper,Del or anybody how does a 8 1/2 Win mag primer compare to a Fed 215 or Rem 9 1/2 primer?

Sorry, can't help there I only use Federals.

Comment

Win. sells WLR and WLRM primers, don't know about 8 1/2 primers. Win is what I use.

Comment

These are the WLRM.

Comment

A WLRM, Remington 9 1/2M, and Federal 215's are all magnum primers. Load data usually specifies which primer was used, but I think all are about the same spec, although one may be a little hotter than others. I use all three for various loads, but never mix primer manufacturer's or magnum and non-magnum in the same load. Never had a misfire from either, but can't say the same for CCI and PMC.

Clay or Petzal probably has the real skinny.

Comment

The Federal 215 is said to be the hottest. As for the difference between Winchester and Remington primers I'm not sure. As WAMTN... said I use the primer recommended by the load data.

Comment

Due to the recent primer shortage I have varied from my usual Federal primers. Frankly so far the CCIs have performed just as well. If you change primers back off on the powder a couple grains and work back up to your favorite or maximum load. Perhaps Federal will get primers back on the shelves soon but right now not ever the new Cabela's in Billings, MT has any.

Comment

According to Jim Shepard and the Sooting Wire our much needed primers are being held on the docks by US Customs. Hummm.

Comment

So where are they coming from? Russia?

Comment

I use only the Federal 215's, but if this crazy market continues, we may all have experiment.

Comment

Here is my dillema I have some 215 and 9 1/2 primers but I plan on doing some serious reloading this summer and stock up my ammo shelves and I can get my hands on some WLRM primers is it going to change my accuarcy or am I wasting my money? Of course I suppose right now any primer is a good primer.

Comment

Only thing I can suggest is load some of each primer everything else being equal. Then run them over a chronograph to check velocity for speed, and extreme spread for efficiency.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad