Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the best load for .270 Winchester for hunting big bucks to bull elk? What weight of bullet would give the most opt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the best load for .270 Winchester for hunting big bucks to bull elk? What weight of bullet would give the most opt

What would be the best load for .270 Winchester for hunting big bucks to bull elk? What weight of bullet would give the most optimal ballistic performance, 130 Grain, 140 Grain or 150 Grain Bullets?

i prefer the 150's if i was hunting elk i wouldent go any smaller , but i am sure some guys will say i am nuts .

Comment

150 Barnes MRX for elk, 130 or 140 Partitions for deer.

Comment

I can't answer your question about the best load for elk but I can tell you about the load my father used so successfully on whitetail deer. My father shot 58 deer with 61 shots. No deer that he hit took more than 1 shot. He used to load winchester cases with 59.5 grs. of H4831 and a Sierra 130 gr. psp with a large rifle Remington primer. His rifle was a Remington Model 721 with a 24" bbl. and a 4x Weaver scope with a post reticle. My dad was a great shot.

Comment

Rez, I always used 130s on everything until a few years ago when I switched to 140 gr. for some unknown reason. I have shot 150s and think that they don't demonstrate any advantage over the 140s which make consistent tight little groups from of my old .270. To tell the truth the 130s and 140s appear much the same on the target or the critter. I used to chuckle at O'Connor when he said that he often carried 130s and 150s in country where grizzlys inhabited. With the 150s handy he could switch loads from his long range 130s and better handle the bear with 150s. From what I have seen since first reading that sentence decades ago I am convinced that one will work as good as another. 130 or 140 Partitions or XXX since I have not tried MRX yet but hear good things about them. All of the preminum bullets are getting so costly that we may all be shooting Walmart specials in short order.

Comment

The .270 frequently will shoot different loads to the same or a similar point of impact. There is not much difference in mine between 130s and 140s given the same powder charge. The old Failsafe 140s were pure poison. I have taken two whitetail does with them, and both shots went nearly end to end on animals that were almost head-on. The Nosler Accubond seems good so far, but I'm still grumpy about the demise of the Failsafe.

Comment

I use Federal Fusion 150's I used to use 130 but switched because of availability. After reading the balistics it is fine. I don't shoot much beyon 200 yards so I'm not at any disadvantage. Also I am hoping to go for moose this year so I though I'd use 150's for everything and not have to sight in twice.

Comment

A Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-Frame, or other premium bonded core or solid copper controlled expansion bullet will get the job done.

I think a 140 or 150 grain bullet would be about minimum for elk in any caliber.

Comment

Failsafe - best bullet ever. This would be perfect, but is very rare these days.

The advantage of the MRX 150 over the TSX or other bullets is that it's shorter for its weight, it's not all copper. It potentially allows you to stuff in more powder.

Comment

Barnes triple X 130 grain will kill all of the above and do it well.

Comment

Rez if you have a good strong action on your 270 I would ream out to a 270 Wby and shoot the 150 or 160 Pations or 150 tripleX shock. Shane I have the lowdown on a bunch of Failsafes here in town what cal. are you looking for?

Comment

I use 150 Gr. with a Ballistic tip. That drops anything you hit in the right spot.

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I have some shooting to do to find the best loads.

Comment

I've been looking for Falisafes in .270 for a long time. If anyone knows where I can get a good quantity of them, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Comment

Failsafes, that is. I got too excited thinking about them!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad