Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently decided to sell my Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC. My purpose was to use the proceeds to assemble a 6.8mm on an AR platform. At the gun show, I marked the gun $725, offered it to a buyer for $675 and refused a $650 CASH offer from same. It di

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently decided to sell my Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC. My purpose was to use the proceeds to assemble a 6.8mm on an AR platform. At the gun show, I marked the gun $725, offered it to a buyer for $675 and refused a $650 CASH offer from same. It di

Recently decided to sell my Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm Rem SPC. My purpose was to use the proceeds to assemble a 6.8mm on an AR platform. At the gun show, I marked the gun $725, offered it to a buyer for $675 and refused a $650 CASH offer from same. It didn't sell. At home, on the computer, I finally discover Ruger began production in 2007 and stopped production in 2012. I found the same gun online for $950 to $1400! Mine is "in-the-box", rings, lock & lit! If it were yours, what price would YOU put on it?

depends on how fast you wish to sell it. It all comes down to what a buyer is willing to spend. You could wait a long time to get that top end price, or you could get lucky and find someone that really wants your rifle. The Blue Book of Gun Values lists guns from low to high end but it is hard to find an individual willing to pay the top end price.

Comment

~JMO~ For the sake of $ 25.00 You STILL have the Rifle.Most Gun Buyers at a Gun Show know what they are looking for and the high and low prices
      That were your Horse-Trading comes-in as a seller! I would priced it at $ 850.00 and let it go for $725.00+/-....The 6.8MM is not a Popular Round(It's too NEW)

Comment

Tree

Though not by leaps and bounds, the 6.8mm is slowly gaining in popularity. More so in the AR platform than the Ruger "Mini'. With Hornady's introduction of an 85 grain BTSP, ranges and velocities are looking much, much better.

I was surprised at the number of people who:
        A. Had no idea there WAS a 6.8mm Rem SPC
        B. "Super round! I love mine. Wish Ruger made a hi-cap mag!"
        C. ...and a couple if, "Oh! A Mini-Thirty!"

Comment

Blue book shows it at $645 for 100% - my book is a few years old. I would check gunbroker and see what they are selling for. Then list for that amount.

Comment

@ Bubba,
            I'm Not knocking the 6.8mm, I think it's a great round! It's just not well known.Thus a hard sell to a person NOT in the KNOW....I had a 308 Norms Magnum on a Custom 98/Mauser "Sweet Rifle". I could not give-it away at $700.00 & $ 55.00 a Box of 20. I had ship it to a Dealer Friend in Colorado, It sold in two days??

Comment

You could sell it to a gun dealer for about 75% of the retail selling price, and let him wait for the right buyer to come along.

Comment

I am assuming that you attended the gun show as a visitor and tried to sell your rifle to exhibitors.
                If you have more than one gun to sell, or have a friend who is also trying to sell a few guns, you could rent a table at a gun show for about $25 and become the retail seller(s).

Comment

The vast competition in the AR platform recently is driving the prices down a bit. However I doubt that many of the inexpensive ARs will actually shoot any better and the majority won't shoot as well. The Ruger Ranch is an excellent truck rifle and in that cartridge, a fine deer rifle for most applications out to 250 yards.

I suspect the audience at your local gun show might just not be the right market for such a rifle. If it were mine, I'd list it on gunbroker with a reserve price of $750 and a buy it now price of $850. If it doesn't sell, you can always drop the price later unless you are really anxious to sell it. Since it is in like new condition it will be selling to a much larger audience and you might get a good hit. I'd include a link to the gunblast.com/Ruger-RanchRifle68.htm review in your description so that prospective buyers get a fair assessment of what that rifle can do. With the 110g Barnes bullet, it is an outstanding deer rifle capable of MOA accuracy.

If it were me, I'd also make the new AR in 6.5 Grendel for a little more punch but if you've already invested in dies and components, the 6.8 SPC will be mighty nice too. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Bubba, I would sell it online for everything you can get for it. Gunbroker makes it easy to sell. I should start a business, "I sell your guns, on gunbroker"

Comment

Ruger mini 30 has a somewhat jaded reputation as a poor shooter, particularly the early ones. Put it on Gunbroker and see where it goes.

Comment

WAM it's because of what jr. was doing to the company at the time. They're great AR alternatives

Comment

Couple of years back I was trying to sell a pretty rough Marlin 39A. I knew it wasn't a collector, but it was still a great shooter and though not "original", still a good rifle.
                          I covered the hall three times and was never offered more than beans for the little gun. I swore to myself THAT wouldn't happen again!
                          Now I sit on the dealer side of the table, mark my wares at retail prices and let buyers come to me.
                          MUCH better situation!
                          Yes, I'm ready to sell.
                          No! I'm not "giving" it away!
                          It's probably my OFS, but I have absolutely NO desire to sell on the internet nor have a "middle man" in my "bidness"! LOL!

Comment

I think your price was reasonable and I would stick with it. JMO

Comment

I am not familiar with the 6.8mm SPC.
                              It seems to be something necked down to .270 on a 43mm case.
                              What was the parent cartridge?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad