Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have always had trouble getting my .30-06 sighted in as well as keeping it sighted in from year to year. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have always had trouble getting my .30-06 sighted in as well as keeping it sighted in from year to year. Any suggestions?

I have always had trouble getting my .30-06 sighted in as well as keeping it sighted in from year to year. Any suggestions?

Probably a bad scope and/or mounts. Could be a stock/bedding problem too. Describe the gun and the results you are getting with it? Does it group, but just not in the same place?

Comment

use a gun vise if possible.

Comment

Loose mounts would be my first thought also. If the ammo is the same load this would be the first place to look.

Comment

I had the mount put on at the gun store, not that that necessarilly means anything. The gun is a Remington 700 model, not sure of the scope but I know it is a good scope. It came already mounted with the gun. The real thing that gets me is it doesn't seem to group. Or when I think it finally is I will shoot it the next week and it will shoot somewhere else.

Comment

Sound like loose or cheap scope mounts, and/or scope.

Comment

I'd try a different set of mounts to start.
              Lupold make a pretty good set for fairly cheap.

Comment

take your scope off check the bases to be sure they are tight if they are loose remove and degrease and lock tight them and reassemble the rings securely .your rings can be tight but if the bases are loose forget it its just as bad as loose rings .

Comment

I agree that scope mounts have to be properly installed or you will probably have issues. When I ran my gun shop I always used "blue" Loctite on the bases and on the rings. This is the type of Loctite that you can easily loosen with the proper tool, but will not work loose on it's own. If you check out the mounts and everything is ok you may want to look at your bedding. I personally have always preferred a free floated bbl. I've used both Accraglas from Brownells and Devcon metal bed. Both work very well for me. With the Devcon I usually do a Pillar bed and I believe that this is an excellent way to have your rifle shoot in the same place year after year. It's not hard to find information about bedding on line.

Comment

Smells like a cheap scope to me and/or cheap rings. Those package deals usually include a scope and rings that aren't worth having. Bet a Leupold VXIII in Leupold rings cures your problem. If not it's one of the other things mentioned above. Scopes tend to all look good. The difference is inside. That's where the extra $ goes.

Comment

Amen Del,

The guts in the tube make the difference. As well as good mounts & screws.

Comment

Get back to us with the details of your scope choice and mounts. Thats were we need to start.

Comment

Im out of town until the weekend. Ill let ya know. As far as what I can remember (the gun was a gift about 5 years ago) the gun shop owner who is a friend of ours picked out the scope and put it on himself. It wasn't a package already together, I don't think. I'm pretty sure the scope was a couple hundred dollars but Ill get back to ya after I look at it hopefully this weekend. Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

If the mounts are loose will I be able to tell just by looking/feeling them? Or could they be loose on a shot and hard to tell by the naked eye?

Comment

Sounds like problems with scope or mounts unless you are switching loads year to year, shooting session to shooting session. If you are switching ammo while troubleshooting your acuracy problems, you will be chasing your own tail.

Could be the bedding. Before you glass bed, try shimming the action forward of the recoil lug with cardboards from the tabs of ammo boxes. They are nice dense cardboard. Use enough shims to just relieve the contact with the stock forward of the action and ensure the action screws are evenly tightened to about 60 in-lbs of torque. Withthat accomplished, it should shoot consistently unless you have a scope/mount issue. BTW, what kind of rifle and scope is it?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Har, har, har. I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals,...
                                Today, 01:58 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by FirstBubba
                                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                                Today, 01:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X