Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your preferred rest at the shooting bench for grouping your shots? Lead sled? sight vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackdawgz
    replied
    Sandbags are best. Your rifle shoots differently, depending on what's backing up the stock. I've had a lot of luck this way with boresighting and a one-shot sight-in. I'll take another shot to verify and then put it up until it's time to hunt. I've found further shooting to be non-productive. Let it cool for an hour between shots.

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    To make sure my rifle is sighted in I use a a rest called a Titegroup. You can google it.

It works great. With factory loaded(Federal Fusion 150 grain) I get 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards. Then I can practice with a rifle that I know is shooting straight.

You're not going to lug a rest with you while hunting though so after it is sighted in put the rest away and shoot the way you'd shoot at a deer or whatever you're hunting.

Leave a comment:

• libertyfirst
    replied
    The guys that are very serious shooters and use my covered rifle range all seem to use a height adjustable front rest and multiple rear sand bags at the rear. You can trust me when I tell you that some of these men can shoot some tiny groups at 200 yards. Most of these men wouldn't know what to do to hit a game animal. I always try to do my shooting hanging onto a tree branch to steady myself.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Rabbit eared sand bags, but after watching Petzal shoot offhand through a 2x3 inch opening I'm embarrassed.

Leave a comment:

replied
    6-8 shot bags filled with sand, laid over a bench rest.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    An old seabag stuffed with old clothes works okay for me. Or prone using some terrain feature, like a log.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkfin
    replied
    I've used a sight vise, bags, jacket or soft gun case across the hood of the truck or from inside the bed on the tailgate or side of the bed, the seat of my four-wheeler. Had about the same results with them all. I only shoot rifles for huntin so if I'm in a 3" group at 100 yards I'm happy but I am usually inside 2".

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    At the range, I use an adjustable Hart forend rest with flat sandbag and a rabbit ear bag for the buttstock. Bombproof combination for tight groups and zeroing in the varmint rifles.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I use the Lead Sled when I'm developing loads to ensure that its the load and not me when they don't go through the same hole. It is also great for a .270 on up to be sure I can shoot dozens if not hundreds of shots without a sore shoulder at the range. It has been a Godsend developing high end loads for the big .300s and the .375. I feel very little recoil on my shoulder and the load testing never suffers from jerking or flinching. I also use a Harris bipod and rear sandbag for a lot of my bench shooting.

Leave a comment:

• prairieghost
    replied
    i'm a backpack-across-the-hood of the truck or off the tailgate guy. it is the same pack i'll be hunting with and frequently using as a rest in the field. i may not get 1/4" groups at the range, but it doesn't seem to matter in the field.

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    Across the hood of the truck on a folded gun case. It works just fine, is smaller then a lead sled, and is much cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Backpack or blankets on the ground seem to work.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Across the hood of the truck on a Field Jacket!

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    RCBS RASS other than that sand bags or bean bags, other than that a heavy coat or coveralls.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    When "working" the .300 Win. Mag. I use a buddys Lead Sled(he's got a 7mm STW). As for the rest as said, Sand bags, or go to the range and use their bags.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad